Dissable keyboard buttons in Xp

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by mystvearn, Nov 30, 2003.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn Anime:Any-may

I want to dissable the power, sleep and wake up buttons on my keyboard. Not forever, but at times where I can turn in on when I want to. My cat always press the power button-so the pc offs. This happens when I leave the pc to download stuff.

2. Boone

Boone

You can give this a shot. Go into power options in the control panel. On the advanced tab, change the option in the power buttons drop-down menu to Do Nothing.

3. Miz

Miz

Changes to the "specialty" keys, can usually be make through Control Panel>Keyboard. On mine, it's on the "Dell Touch" tab, Configure button. Just poke around in the Keyboard stuff and you'll find it eventually.

4. mystvearn

There is no speciality keys. And I can do the power option mode, but if I dissable the buttons, does this include the buttons on my casing?

5. Boone

Boone

Yes, it would prevent windows from shutting down if you press the button on the case. You would still be able to do a shutdown from windows itself. You can also still power off the pc by holding in the button on the case for 5 seconds if windows locks up for some reason.

6. Miz

Miz

Sorry...used the wrong terminology. Should have said "specialty buttons." Keyboards with extra buttons for "special" functions usually have a way to configure those buttons in Control Panel>Keyboard.

7. andyms18a

andyms18a

to defeat the dreaded cat attack i got a cordless key board and mouse and put them in a draw when i am away from the computer:D :D

8. mystvearn

Buying a wireless will takecare of it. But dissable thease keys. Nothing in the keyboard menu.