Disk I/O error at bootup

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by grasshopperbe, May 3, 2005.

1. grasshopperbe

grasshopperbe

My father's pc hung(mouse and num lock didnt work anymore) this morning

when i put the screen on (it was already running an hour or so, but not doing anything) .
    Its and athlon 1800+, abit kd7, maxtor 80gb 80mb cache hd, win2K pro sp3.

I rebooted it and now, everytime it's supposed to start loading from hd, it gives an error message

disk I/O error Status : 00001000
    NTDETECT FAILED

i booted the pc with a win98 boot disk and when i look around, it seems like the c partition is lost or something. a: and b: are diskette drive, on c: i find my old d partition (i have 2 partitions on my drive), e: and f: are cdroms, it tried other drive letters but it seems my windows partition is lost or so. Although when i use fdisk and look at the partition information it shows the 2 partitions and everything seems to be normal here.

can anyone help me out on this one ? Is the hd dying(bad cluster or so) ? is this a problem with the boot manager?

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

You aren't going to see the C: drive with your Windows 98 boot disk if the C: drive is NTFS. So just because you can't see it with the boot disk doesn't mean that it is gone. However, the HD may be having some problems. I'd go to Maxtor's website and download their hard drive checker to see if it is on its way out.

3. Statica

Statica

What mouse/keyboard are you using? USB or PS/2? Was the PS2 device hotswapped? It would be indicative of deeper mobo issues if the device was hotswapped.

4. grasshopperbe

grasshopperbe

I downloaded the powermax diagnostic utility from maxtor and i let it install to a diskette, but the pc does not boot from this diskette. on the moment it is supposed to start booting from diskette, it just sits there doing nothing, the diskette isnt loading. I replaced it with my win98 diskette, rebooted, and it does boot. Seems like this utility doesnt work too well i guess.

@Statica, none of the devices have been unplugged for weeks, the last time was when i connected an external usb hub a few weeks ago. Keyboard is ps2, mouse on usb .

now the main thing is i want to get this fixed, but just reinstalling windows is
    not my preferred option, there is banking software and so on this machine,
    and you have to pay them to come over and reinstall some dumb little program. Is there a way i can fix this without reinstalling ?
    If not, i have a new empty 40 gb samsung disk and a previous hd from my dad' s pc which contains a 2 months old norton ghost copy. I guess it would be best then to install windows on the empty hd, hook up the maxtor drive on slave and try to copy everything newer than 2 months, and then put the OS back with norton ghost. I have done this before and it works with e-banking software

Does anyone have another idea ?

5. ComputerNut

ComputerNut Its the Dark Side!

The PowerMax tool should be bootable. Perhaps the creation process just went bad. try it again, maybe even format the floppy in windows just to clear all the data first and try again.

HTH,
    CN :)

6. macko72

macko72

Boot to the "Recovery Console" and run FIXBOOT. using either bootdisketts for your version of windows or boot from the CD for your version !!!
    I saying this because you not going to see NTFS with win98 CD so it's better to boot to recovery console and type FIXBOOT and you can type HELP for list of commands that you may run, run even CHKDSK /F to fix any bad cluster if any!!!
    Visit http://www.bootdisk.com/ to obtain bootdiskettes if you need any !!! :rolleyes:

7. grasshopperbe

grasshopperbe

I just did a complete recovery with windows repair and recovery diskette (boot environment, not system folders, took a looong time ) and i did fixboot.exe, now when i boot up the first line of the error message is gone, it just reads NTDETECT MISSING

is this any improvement ?

8. Digitalic

Digitalic

9. grasshopperbe

grasshopperbe

Thank you for the information, i managed to manually copy ntldr and ntdetect.com to the c partition, now the pc loads untill the screen where you can choose F8 for safe mode, but it stops there and says winnt/system/.....
    is missing and an advice to run repair install, so i am afraid a larger part of the system files are damaged/gone.

i am going to try a full repair install tomorrow once more ( getting too late now, gotta work tomorrow), and otherwise try to ghost everything back from the old HD.

Thanks for all the help and replies

10. macko72

macko72

Before you do clean install load recovery console one more time and do the FIXMBR and FORMAT C: /Q /FS:NTFS from console and then do clean install

How to Repair the Boot Sector: (I hope you copied like this, it's realy bad if someone looses data) :(

If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
    COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
    COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C: