Deleting registry entires.

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Trin, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Trin

Trin

How to I go about deleting registry entries. I used Registry Mechanic and it said I had 400+ errors. Is there anyway to know what entries definitley should not be there.

Thanks,
    Trin.

2. ktkendall

ktkendall Telcom Tech

Word to the wise:

Tread VERY, VERY cafefully in this area. Make sure you know how to back up and restore your registry before you embark upon this adventure...

KTK

3. Trin

Trin

so are you saying i should not try to delete anyting from the registry> if so, can you recommend any good reg cleaners.

4. ktkendall

ktkendall Telcom Tech

I'm saying don't even go there unless you are sure of what you are doing and are competent in backing up and restoring the reg, which if you really hose it all up will have to be done from the repair console that you get by booting from the XP CD. I think the registry cleaner I see most recommended here is called reg cleaner. Just do a search here in the forum for it.

5. kram

kram

Easy cleaner is good too - did it on my WinXP laptop, runs very well now :)

kram

6. Trin

Trin

will serach here for eg cleaner. also if you know any good articles about cleaning u p the reg that you could recommend, that would be great. im feel very competent restoring and backing up the reg..but am still very interested in learing more about the reg.
    thanx
    trin

7. ktkendall

ktkendall Telcom Tech

Search the PCMECH home page, for there are great articles on anything you could ever want to know about PC's