DDR3 1600 vs 2133 vs 2400?

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by Sound Mind, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Sound Mind

Sound Mind

So, I'm building a new computer during this holiday season, it'll be based on a 4770k and an ASUS Z87-C. I plan to do some modest, cautious overclocking, I'm imagining 4.3gHz or 4.4gHz, whatever I can do with very minor tweaks in voltage to keep temperature increase to an absolute minimum. But, with that, I'm also considering overclocking my RAM. And as such, I've been doing some research.

I'm seeing some interesting pricing trends. Looking at G.Skill memory, I can pick up a 2x4GB pack of 1600 for $75, 2133 for $90, or 2400 for (weirdly) the same $75.

The forums I've perused are giving me some conflicting information, though, which is confusing me enough to ask here. A lot of people are saying that moving up from 1600 up to 2133 will yield a noticeable performance increase in memory-intensive applications, but then people saying moving up from 1600 up to 2400 will have almost no increase in performance. So, I'm not sure what to believe.

I'm a photographer working very frequently with Photoshop, and high-res, uncompressed, 16-bit images get pretty large pretty fast, so I could actually stand to benefit from faster memory, if there is a gain to be had. I'll likely need more than the 8GB I'm getting now, but I'll be upgrading to 24GB (adding in another 2x8GB) later in the year when I have the money. But, for the first few months of my computer's life, it'll just be an 8GB machine.

So, considering 1600 and 2400 will cost me the same, should I just go for that and overclock as high as stability will allow, or is 2133 somehow higher-performing than 2400, or is all of this extremely negligible and should I just stick with 1600?

Thanks awfully!

2. jdeb

jdeb

I would not recommend GSkill ram at all if your looking for stability and over-clocking ease. I would recommend Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 memory. The XMP profiles will make it easy.

You will not see a noticeable improvement in general use but will see some marginal gain in rendering.

For what it is worth to you, I am still not recommending the Haswell's. Too many issues in my limited experience with them. Frankly, I do not see any noticeable gain over IVY bridge and it is much more stable at this time. My benchmarks have shown 15% performance gain but it does not translate on the screen in my opinion.

3. Sound Mind

Sound Mind

Well, yesterday, the computer shop next door to my work was selling the 4770k's for $200. Bundled with the Z87-C for $289. Considering I got that processor bundled with that motherboard for less than the normal price of the processor, I couldn't say no, lol.

Pardon the next question; I've been researching Haswell overclocking for the past couple days, but haven't done nearly as much RAM overclocking research (begin noobery):
    I've noticed that the timings increase as speed goes up on the RAM. Supposing I buy some 2400mHz Corsair sticks, and I can't achieve stability at those speeds regarding other overclocks, and I have to drop down to 2133 or even back down to 1600, would these 2400 timings cause worse performance than regular 2133 or 1600 RAM with their faster stock timings?

4. birddog_61

birddog_61

If you buy 2400 ram and it wont run at that speed then the ram is bad and should be exchanged, if its advertised as 2400 then it is supposed to be stable at that speed. You should leave your ram speeds alone and just run whatever speed it is you bought, if you start experiencing crashing after cpu overclock then you need to adjust the cpu overclock and leave your ram alone.

5. jdeb

jdeb

You will need to go into the BIOS / Ai Overclock Tuner / Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) / and select Auto if I recall correctly. It will run correctly at 2400 MHz. There are two profiles, Auto and Manual.

That is more than you will ever need. I would stay away from the GSkill.

6. Rev_pizzaguy

Rev_pizzaguy

Sound Mind, you might want to read anandtech's article comparing DDR3-1333, 1600, 1866, 2133, and 2400. The results may surprise you and change what you end up purchasing for your build.

Personally, I stick with a quality DDR3-1600 (Corsair Vengeance LP).

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Looks like the "sweet spot" is 1866.

8. Sound Mind

Sound Mind

Hmm. I remember reading that the harder you push a CPU overclock, the less ability you could have in a memory overclock. I want to say I remember someone pushing their 4770k to 4.7 or something and having to bring their 2400 RAM down to 1866 for stability, where previously the memory was stable at 2400. But, I could be misremembering. I'm also hoping that I have a decent enough chip such that a 4.3gHz overclock isn't going to be pushing any envelope. But, the results on that lottery will be determined at a later date, I guess. I'll be cooling with a 212 EVO like the rest of the planet that's not on water yet.

Either way, I'll stick with simplicity. I'll let Black Friday or Cyber Monday prices determine what speed memory I get. The gains do seem... mostly subtle, and I do have a budget that I want to squeeze a GTX770 into. But, after reading these opinions, I'll definitely stick with Corsair. I'm trying very hard to not cut corners, yet stay within a budget.

Speaking of, sorry to change the topic, but does anyone have any opinions regarding PSUs? GLC, I'm sure at least you do. Particularly, the Corsair HX750 vs. the PC Power and Cooling Silencer III 750? I was going to just go with a Rosewill, but cutting corners on the PSU just scares the everloving ---- out of me.

Thanks, all! I appreciate the conversation.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. glc

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall

If you want to use XMP for your RAM (providing your board and RAM are capable of XMP) you have to select MANUAL and then choose a profile that is offered in the BIOS for one of the speeds that your RAM is capable of. If for instance your RAM is 1333/1600 then auto will run the RAM at 1333 and in MANUAL you would select profile 1 which would run the RAM at 1600.

11. Rev_pizzaguy

Rev_pizzaguy

If you went for a GTX 760 instead, you might look into a power supply like this Seasonic-built Antec 80+ Gold. Very good price at the moment.

Antec TP-550C

12. Sound Mind

Sound Mind

That's actually what I originally planned on getting. Non-modular, actually, but Rosewill 750W, anyway. I didn't notice the 7-year warranties on the Rosewills before. Looking back at my day of research today, apparently all the Capstones are based off of the same Super Flower PSUs as the PCP&C 750W. Hmm. Alright, that's reassuring.

That puts me in an interesting place. Because locally, I can buy the Corsair for $10 more ($130). Which means, in the event of DOA, however unlikely, a short car ride and I've got a replacement, as opposed to the NewEgg RMA process. The PCP&C is at $150 locally, so that puts it a bit more out of reach, unless a local retailer massively discounts it over the holidays. Anyway, Corsair vs. Rosewill, is the Corsair in any way worth avoiding in favor of the Rosewill? I notice the shorter warranty, 5 years vs 7. Channel Well as opposed to Super Flower.

And then, what's your take on the modular version of the Rosewill 750 versus non-modular? If it means saving another $20, I wouldn't mind skipping the modular cabling. I can't imagine there being any appreciable difference between the two besides that feature, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  13. glc

I'm leery of anything made by Channel Well. That's why I've been avoiding Corsairs these days unless they are made by Seasonic.

I'll pay an extra 20 bucks for modular any time. It makes for SO much better cable management.

Note that XFX PSU's are made by Seasonic, believe it or not.

In your situation, you also should verify Haswell certification. I'd also go Gold or better.

14. Sound Mind

Sound Mind

Hmm. I'll keep an eye on XFX sales then. I've got a TigerDirect nearby that sells them. Otherwise, if I'm shipping, may as well go with the Rosewill. A lot of the reviewers are talking Haswell about it, so it should be fine.

But I assume the PCP&C 750 is top-notch, yeah? Any reason to not get it if it goes on sale nearby for an absurd discount?

15. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Is GSkill still not recommended because they had issues a few years ago, or is there current reports? I know everyone here has been told to avoid them but wondering if based on old experiences? Kinda like we all came down collectively many years ago on Norton and won't give them another chance. I know I avoid both only because I keep seeing the same negative posts here. Would be interesting if any of the experienced would actually give both a try and "update" their findings, lol. ;) Btw, I'll pay for any tests, let me know...

16. JimmyDee

JimmyDee

I've installed GSkill in about 15 of my builds with not a problem one. Most have been 1333 or less but I have a few with 1600. Never have overclocked the ram. In my computer I did use Corsair.
    Jim

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  17. Sound Mind

Sound Mind

Just writing to say thanks to everyone that gave me advice! The holidays have been good to me this year and I built my whole rig for under $1k. VERY pleased about that. :p

As for RAM, I found a great deal on some Crucial memory. 1866mHz, 9 CAS, and 1.5v. Everything 2133 and up was still crazy expensive, and the 1.5v on this memory at its sale price point sold me on it. So, thanks for guidance on that!

As far as the PSU goes, I got a great deal on the PCP&C Silencer 850W. That's a bit overkill, 750W would've done just fine, but the 850W dropped to less than the 750W, so who am I to pass that up? Now my computer spends most of its time in a higher-efficiency power band, and the PSU fan hardly ever spins up.

Anyway, thanks again, all! That's all I wanted to say. :)