Copying Hard Drives in DOS?

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by mrstarface, Apr 8, 2002.

1. mrstarface

mrstarface

OK not a Win 98 specifc question (as having problems installing wi98 at the moment).

I am replacing one of my Hard Drives and want to know how I can copy the entire contents of one hard drive to another from a dos prompt. I've tried using copy but can only get this to work for specific files and folders which will take ages, does anyone know the magic word!?

Thanks

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Why don't you just use the utility from the hard drive manufacturer to set up and clone the drive? If the drives are 2 different brands, you can use EITHER'S utility.

3. mrstarface

mrstarface

I'll check my mobo stuff to see if there is a copy utility there (I've got a gigabyte 7dxr). It will be some sort of dos utility?

The drive are 2 different brands and sizes, what is EITHERS utlity, and where can I get it from?

Thanks for the help

4. bailey

bailey

what he is saying is to use the utility that comes with the drive,
    and that you can use which ever one you want, sence you have two differant drives, you will two differant programs that you can use, eather one will do what you want to do.

5. mrstarface

mrstarface

Doh! Just re-read the mail and my fantastic brain is seeing what glc meant...must.....stop.......drinking:D

6. DougL

DougL

Hi mrstarface

Not wishing to kick a man when he's down but after a lousy day at work your last post really brightened up my day!!!