Computer wont boot after thunder storm

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by uti1ize, Aug 29, 2007.

1. uti1ize

Aug 29, 2007
    I left my computer on and went to work a couple of days ago and during the day there was a ridiculous storm that came through with the sickest lightning I've ever seen. Anyway once I got home I noticed my computer was off which was obviously caused by a power outage.

I turn it on and it doesnt boot and I get no beeps. The monitor works fine, but nothing boots.

The LEDs power on and the fans power on. The heatsink on the CPU powers on as well. There is a digital temperature gauge on the MB that powers on too.

However, the hard drive does not power on nor does the CD drive. The lights on the mouse and keyboard do not come on either. Is the PSU the most likely problem here or is it the MB? The PSU is a pretty decent Antec that I bought over a year ago. My MB is an Epox AMD.

I've taken everything out and cleaned it. I've also done some fault isolation by taking out the ram and things like that but nothing has worked. nothign looked damaged...I didnt smell any thing burning either.

I'm pretty sure the PSU did its job and took the brunt of the damage instead of the MB (i didnt have it plugged into a surge:mad: ) but I want to make sure I'm making the correct decision (in terms of whats most likely to be bad) before i shell out 100 bucks on a new PSU.

Everything inside the case that requires a small amount of power works (fan, leds etc), but everything that requires a large amount doesnt (hard drive, dvd etc). And all of this after a big lightning storm that killed power to a computer not protected by a power surge.

PSU hands down right?

My apologies for posting a problem that has probably been discussed 4 million times here.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

Dec 30, 1999
    Dallas, Tx
    It'll be a process of elimination....I'd start with the psu and go from there...
  3. Stuey

Stuey Defenestrator

Jan 4, 2005
    NYC & NJ
    Maybe try resetting the CMOS via switch or removing the battery?
  4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2000
    Joplin MO