Codec to decrypt avi movie on vista plateform

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by jalal, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jalal

jalal

I have downloaded a movie through torrent in avi format.Its encrypted and required to decrypt for the running of movie.I have tried a lot to download codec and fail to open movie.Can any body help, how to run this movie?:)

2. alfie2

alfie2

what is the exact message you get?
    and what player?
    have you try VLC?( there is no need for codecs for this player.)

I could be wrong, but I dont think one can encrypt an AVI file. you can do encryption on WMV, ASF, MP4 file, through "DRM", not AVIs.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. Iamjosh

Iamjosh

I am guessing it's one of those "downloads" where they tell you to join a site and will receive a "secret password). The password is a third word in a third sentence, blah, blah, blah...;)

If you are talking a .rar password, don't bother because it will take you several years or more to open/find that password (even if you are using quad core). .Rar recovery software is not that sophisticated yet.

You do not need a 'codec' (compression/decompression) as all media players already have most common types installed with it.

My suggestion is to delete the file or post the message to the person who uploaded the file and ask them what is the password.