CMOS Battery - How can I tell if its dead? - Plz Help, getting errors!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zac3010, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Zac3010

Zac3010

Hi, my computer just randomly stoped working (although I could still tell it was recieving power) and went stright from what it was doing to a bank screen. When restarting I keep hearing a "beep, beep, blank (no beep), beep". After hearing this from my computers internal speaker, the motherboard startup screen doesn't show up, nor can I get to bios, or see anything for that matter. Could someone PLEASE HELP me? Thank you for your time!

2. rave

rave

it would help if you could give us the manufacturer of your BIOS to determine the error associated to the beeps. the bios should be fine since the POST works.
    if the CMOS is dead, it will not affect the computer very much just that your BIOS settings will not be saved.

could be a mobo failiure or faulty graphics

3. morriswindgate

morriswindgate Banned

You have problems not related to the battery. If the battery is low or bad, the computer will start and when it gets to the BIOS black screen it will stop. On that screen will be the phrase, "Checksum Error, Press XXX to enter setup or XXXX to continue."

What motherboard do you have as the beep codes will give information about the error. Although from the looks of the code you are probably dealing with a video problem. Check to make sure the video card has not became unseated.

4. Zac3010

Zac3010

Its a 1999 AMIBIOS.

5. QuickSilver

QuickSilver USA Pride

I'm afraid that a couple of the answers given above are not completely correct. In my personal expeirence I have seen Cmos batts cause all kinds of wierd problems. they can, in fact, affect the operation of the computer a great deal. Also, some of the problems can be more abstract if the batt is not totaly dead but dying. I would try a new batt. It won't cost you much to try it, and it's one of the simpler things to do.

6. bailey

bailey

usally one of the first signs of a battery getting very week is that the system real time clock will not keep the correct time.

7. Craig100

Craig100

If you are hearing 1 long and 3 short beeps the problem lies in the memory, remove and reseat all modules. If there is more than 1 module installed, try inserting them one at a time. Try different memory slots.
    If it is 3 short beeps you are hearing then the RAM is most likely bad, but follow the steps i have listed above.

If you are hearing 1 long and 2 short beeps the problem lies in the video system, the card itself,remove the video card, and reseat, try blowing any dust that could be intrerfering. If the card is missing or defective however you would get 1 long and 8 short beeps,
    Try a different Video card if possible.