Close Programs to Prevent Information Loss!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by warpbot, Feb 23, 2011.

1. warpbot

Feb 23, 2011
    I'm suddenly getting this Windows warning 'close programs to prevent information loss' appearing every 5 minutes, also the warning 'Your computer is low on memory'. Even when I have shut down all unecessary processes in the task manager and I am only running Firefox with one tab open on Gmail.

I am using a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-AR51M 17", 140GB HD, NVidia GeForce 8400MT, Intel Core Duo CPU T7250 2GHZ 2001MHZ, with 2GB RAM and running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Up until yesterday, it was running fine with only about 4 or 5 GB space free on the HD. Then I did a restart (to be able to use Skype) and accidentally shut it down while it was running ChkDsk during restart. I restarted again and it seemed fine, but over the day I began to have these memory issues.

I cleared 15GB free space on my HD, and I tried restarting to run Chkdsk properly, but now it won't run chkdsk whatever I do. And now all I can run is one program at a time and still I get these warning messages. And Firefox is constantly closing down - even with just one window and tab open.

I know that some of you might advise getting more RAM, or freeing more space, and you might be right in general - but this is a sudden change in my computer's behaviour so I am inclined to think it has been triggered by an error or some kind. I just don't know how to find it.

Warning messages:

Microsoft Windows!

close programs to prevent information loss

Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs:

Windows will only close enough programs to restore needed memory.
    Microsoft Windows!

Your computer is low on memory

To restore enough memory for programs to work correctly, save your files and then close or restart all open programs.
  2. David M

David M Techphile.

Nov 25, 2003
    San Francisco Bay
    The only thing I can think of is to run CCleaner. Make certain you have enough drive space and run Malwarebytes.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  3. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

Jul 22, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If your hard drive is too full then the page file cannot get big enough and you essentially run out of memory. 2GB is the absolute minimum I would ever run with Vista and if the page file cannot grow to an adequate size that would most likely be the reason you are getting the message.

I was getting this message with 8GB of RAM after I messed with the page file settings when I read about SSD page file recommendations. I set the page file to a smaller size and started getting the warning whenever I ran a game. I decided to just let Windows manage it and it all went away.
  4. pally01

Feb 11, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Curious: How low did you set it?