Changing boot.ini in dos mode

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by thecult03, May 17, 2004.

1. thecult03

thecult03

Anyone know how to edit boot.ini from DOS mode. Everytime I boot up pc the machine goes into safe mode and will not log me onto the pc. I can gain access into DOS and want to change the boot from safe to normal. Last known just takes me to safe mode everytime.

2. pillainp

pillainp

What OS?

If you are using WinXP/Win2k in FAT32 mode, all you ned to do is to go to the DOS prompt and type the following:

cd\
    attrib - s -h -r boot.ini
    edit boot.ini

If you are using either Win2K in NTFS, you will need to boot from a bootable CD and login at the command prompt as administrator.

The same goes for XP, except here you can access the Recovery Console from the bootable CD and then log in as Administrator, after which you can reset the attributes for boot.ini and the edit it using the commands given above.

3. thecult03

thecult03

I tried exactly what you suggested and it allowed me to changes the attributes but did not recongnize edit boot.ini as a command.....something I did incorrectly?

4. Markoman01027

Markoman01027

Windows XP/2K does not have DOS..the closest it has to DOS is a command prompt.

5. pillainp

pillainp

What File system (FAT32/NTFS)?

6. thecult03

thecult03

7. pillainp

pillainp

[hr]
    Do you have another computer that you can use? and a floppy disk and drive in this machine with the problem?

Right then:

If you have been able to change the attributes for boot.ini, insert a floppy disk in your drive and then type:

copy boot.ini a:

This will copy the file to the floppy.

Now simply put the floppy in your other machine, edit it as necessary and copy it back to the problem machine.

Not a very elegant solution, I admit, but it should work, unless the gurus on the forums have a better method.
    [/hr]

Please disregard the above. Was not thinking straight.

If you can change the attributes for boot.ini, do as follows:

type cd c:\windows\system32 at the prompt. This will bring up the editor window.

Now press ALT+F+O to bring up the oen dialog. Here type c:\boot.ini to open boot.ini in the editor. Make your changes and then press ALT+F+S to save the file. Now press ALT+F+X[/] to exit the editor.

Reboot your system.

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  8. thecult03

thecult03

The machine in question is a dell latitude d600 which does not have a floppy drive included. I made a change under msconfig to boot in safe mode and the machine does not recognize the admin pw or the local user. Plus, I belong to a work domain and I do not see that on the log on to windows screen. I was hoping to change the start mode back to normal by manipulating the boot.ini but no success.

9. Statica

Statica

Ok here's the thing, you can create a new boot.ini file, but you cannot edit the file from the command line interface.

this is what I would recommend .. get to your command prompt and then change teh attribs for the file boot.ini as was stated before.
    here's how to proceed (bold text is the commands you should type as shown, small font text explains what we are doing here)

<b>ren boot.ini boot.tmp</b>
    this renames your boot.ini to boot.tmp
    <b>type boot.tmp</b>
    this dumps the contents of the file boot.tmp (your former boot.ini) on the screen for your reference. Helpful to see and type
    <b>copy con boot.ini</b>
    this is an obscure copy command extension for "creating" a file
    <i>Now type out the new boot.ini file EXACTLY as it is supposed to be, press Enter where a new line is to appear etc.</i>
    <b>Now when you want to end typing your new file, and save the contents Press CTRL+Z... you should see a
    <font color="red">^Z</font>
    appear on screen, that is the processor for SAVE. Simply press Enter after that and you should see that 1 file was saved.</b>
    Now to be absolutely sure you can write:
    <b>type boot.ini</b>
    and see if the new boot.ini is as you like it.
    If all is well end with this:
    <b>attrib +s +h +r boot.ini</b>

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  10. Statica

Statica

Check the screen shot for a better idea