Cat 6 into Cat 5 RJ45

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by stymie222, Nov 15, 2011.

1. stymie222

stymie222

I have a small home network with just one incoming line. I acquired some leftover Cat 6 cable from a job I worked on as an electrician.
    (I know I have to buy Cat 6 RJ45 connectors), but I figured I'd try to use a Cat 5 connector that I had from previous Cat 5 wiring on my network.
    The Cat 6 WILL fit into the Cat 5 connector. I only use the Blue and Blue/white wires, so its easy to get them in.
    They don't seem to connect with the wire after crimping. Even though you can see the sharp, piercing stabs bottoming out. I never could get them to work.
    Even though you can get the wire in, whats the difference between the Cat 6 and Cat 5 connector ?? The Stabs ?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You need to use all 8 wires.

3. stymie222

stymie222

8 wires

I was wondering about that, but my network has only 2 wires under the connector from the utility box into the modem and 2 going out to 4 locations and is working fine.

4. stymie222

stymie222

Different ?

Is a Cat 6 cable ok to use on a home network that is basically only delivering megabytes ?
    I wonder if this why it wont work.

5. glc

Twisted pair cable is twisted pair cable.

Are you sure you have RJ-45? Only one pair sounds more like RJ-11 to me. Are you trying to wire an Ethernet network or just phone jacks? Ethernet requires at least 2 pairs.

6. stymie222

stymie222

Rj45

YES Telephone/DSL is only 2 wires from utility box on smaller phone connector.
    Although I have hooked up all 8 wires to RJ45 within the system, why wouldn't the RJ45 connection work using the primary 2 wires alone, since the other wires go nowhere ?
    Sorry but I don't know much about networking.

7. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Have a read of this page.

SpeedGuide.net :: How to Make Network Cables

8. stymie222

stymie222

Thanks to all

Staring to understand the interconnect between the 4 cables.
    I will just go ahead and insert and connect all 8 within the network.

9. glc

You should ALWAYS do that with RJ-45, no matter what type of cable you use. Use 568A or 568B, doesn't matter which, as long as each end is the same.

10. edfair

edfair

You mentioned stabs w/r/t your CAT5 plugs. There are 2 types, a blade type that pierces stranded cable and a split type that goes on either side of solid.

Using the blade type on solid wire is an invitation to failure as it is not a secure connection. If they don't fail immediately they are ticking time bombs.

11. bob

bob

True.
    There are (were if I am getting old) 2 basic types of connector pluge. One is for solid core wire and the other is for stranded wire. The stranged wire type has two triangular points as viewed from the side. if you use that tyoe on single core wire it will be agony for your network connection.