Cars with suicide doors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tomster2300, Dec 22, 2004.

1. tomster2300

tomster2300 I like monkeys

Hey,

I'm looking for any type of car which has suicide doors on it. They would have two normal doors, but then behind them they would have two doors which open outward, instead of in.

The element is a good example of suicide doors. If you dont know what they look like then look here as an example, but remember, what I'm looking for is a car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomster2300/element.jpg

If anybody could find some for me then post them here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. mikezel

mikezel

Mazda RX-8.

mike

3. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

Just North of Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
    if you wanna roll with suicide doors...roll in style. hows about a 67 lincoln continental :D. hell, you could even do it up like the one in the matrix if you wanted to.

4. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

All car doors open outward. I've never seen any where the doors open inward.

One of the most famous cars that had suicide doors was the Lincoln Continental from the 1960's (like the 1963 convertible that President Kennedy got shot in).

:) Cricket

5. mc2phat

mc2phat Remember

It was popular (according to my father) to take one those suicide Lincolns, chop the top, and drop a 500 (501?) CID Cadillac engine in it. Rent the old 70's flick The Car, if you can find it, for a beautiful example. If I was wealthy, I'd have one sitting right beside a '48 fat fendered Merc beside a Hemi Cuda beside a...

6. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

There's a black 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible in the movie "Kalifornia" too.

:) Cricket

7. mc2phat

mc2phat Remember

You're right Cricket. What year is the one in Animal House? '63?

8. tomster2300

Lol, I need a car with suicide doors that's being currently sold -- I could go and pick it up on the lot today.

9. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

I don't think their are any new cars with real suicide doors. (The RX-8's rear doors are tiny) They were called suicide doors for a reason and they aren't really safe. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need suicide doors? :)

10. tomster2300

No reason, but that is what I'm looking for. I know a Mercury came out that had suicide doors a couple of years ago, yet I can't find it online.

11. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

Question
    How did suicide doors get their name?

Answer
    Suicide doors are automobile doors that are hinged on the edges closer to the back of the vehicle. The name refers to the perceived greater danger of such a door falling open at speed.

Such doors were commonly seen on cars manufactured in the first half of the 20th century. Post-World War II examples are almost universally the rear doors of four-door cars. The last true, independently opening suicide doors were fitted to the 1971 Ford Thunderbird, after which their use ceased due to safety concerns.

More recently, rear suicide doors that cannot be opened until the regular front doors are open have been used on a number of vehicles.

For my reference if no one elses.

12. tomster2300

Hey Dragon, I ordered your video card last night -- what do you think of it?

13. tomster2300

Plus...am I even saying the right name? (I feel stupid now). I need a car that has those rear opening doors in the back -- aren't they called suicide doors?

14. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

Just North of Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
    if you want to wait a year get an 06 Continental with the suicide doors ;).

15. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

Love it. It's a biggie but I love it. Check the settings I run with the latest DX9 games. Right now I'm playing KOTOR with 1024x768 with 4AA and 16AF. I could go higher, but why? LoL. First time I actually had a latest gen vid card. You won't be disappointed. It prolly won't overclock too high, so don't be thinking it will o/c high.

Normally I would say PM me but this is your thread so we can talk about whatever, lol.

16. tomster2300

Lol. I'll tell you all why I need this type of car.

I'm 17 and paralyzed from the waist down. I'm looking for my first vehicle and I want a car over a van. The problem is getting the wheelchair into it -- I need a two door vehicle since they open wider. A four door car wont work for me since there would be no way for me to put anything into the back through the back door since they open the way they do. I need the extra space without that dividing bar which separates the two doors on a four door car. The only thing I can think of which would give me the extra room would be a car with the suicide, or clam shell (I guess) doors in the back.

I have to be able to somehow get the wheelchair into the car while sitting in the driver's seat. I can pop the tires off, but then I still have to deal with the frame. The back of my chair folds down, but the thing is still kind of large.

Here is a picture of it. This is the type of chair, although mine is a bit lower to the ground I think, plus it's wider -- this'll give you a rough idea of what it looks like. The back folds down on mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomster2300/wheelchair.jpg

I hope this isn't too confusing and hopefully it'll help clarify why I need this thing. I'm still looking and trying to figure out how I would get the wheelchair into the car -- it could even go on the passenger side, yet there is not enough room for me to pull the frame over my lap through the driver's side and place it on the passenger seat.

17. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

18. HAL9000

HAL9000

Actually, I know a guy in the same situation as you and he is able to do it quite nicely with the Saturn 3dr... slides himself into the car and tosses the wheelchair in the back thru the third door. As far as I'm concerned, having been a passenger in the rear of a Saturn 3dr, the back is no good for passengers anyway... VERY uncomfortable and awkward to get out of even with the third door.

19. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

All extended cab full size pickups from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge have rear doors. Smaller trucks like the Ranger usually have a door on one side.

20. hobey19

hobey19 usual suspect