Can't locate fax program in Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by pally01, Jul 21, 2007.

1. pally01

pally01

I'm looking for the built-in fax capability that Ultimate has, but I can't find anything in my p.c. regarding it at all. Id like to be able to fax a few pdf's and the built in capability would be helpful.

Apparently, one should be able to find it on the start menu, or by searching for "fax". Neither generates any results for me.

I'm using Ultimate x86 o.e.m.

Any assistance appreciated...

2. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

Look in the Control Panel/Programs and Features. Under the Task list, click on "Turn Windows features on or off". It should be there.

3. pally01

pally01

Good advice, flanzig. Was right where you said to look. Guess I un-clicked it on one of my explorations into Vista. Thanks

I didn't realize that in order to use Vistas' built-in fax program, an internal modem was also needed. My Vista build (P5B Deluxe) currently doesn't have one.

I recently removed an Askey v1456vqh89b from my old Dell XP Home machine in order to install wireless card. Any possibility that this would work in my Vista machine? The newest driver I could find supported XP.

Is installing this old modem practical? I've really never needed a modem much 'till now, so I'm not keen on spending $$$ for a new one.

Thoughts?

4. Lespaul20

Lespaul20

If it's not too much trouble I would just install it and see if Vista recognizes it. Vista has pretty good driver support. The only way to really know is to try it.

5. pally01

pally01

Yah - installing it wouldn't be too much effort.

I found another thread in a different forum where someone needed to do the same thing with the same model of modem card. Some of the advice offered in that particular thread stated that Vista's built-in drivers etc may be sufficient to work. Unfortunately, there wasn't a final report at the end of that thread, so I don't know if it worked or not...