Can you reduce bitrate (& file size) below 128kbps when ripping mp3 files with WMP11?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by andper10, May 23, 2008.

1. andper10

andper10

I have WMP11 (Windows Media Player 11) on a computer that I use to rip CD Audio files to MP3 format and then I post them on a web site on a weekly basis. The people who desinged WMP11 did not consider that people's speech does NOT need to take up 57MB's per CD (128kbps) in order to sound good. I want to cut down the kbps to 40-50 or lower so that the files take up less space online and take less time to load. I have experimented with Audacity and the speech still sounds fine at 48kbps, but there is no option for a bitrate below 128kbps in WMP11. I could use Audacity, but I do this weekly and the computer is not very fast, so importing the tracks to Audacity and re-exporting them with a different bitrate would probably add 5-10 minutes to a process that already takes long enough as it is. Is there a mod or codec or something that will let me use WMP11 to rip mp3 audio at lower bitrates than 128kbps? If not, what is a good program to use that is not extremely resource intensive that will let me do one click ripping to mp3 like WMP does? I checked the Microsoft "Knowledge" Base, but it was basically just a useless FAQ for people who have never used WMP before. On a side note, it would also be nice to be able to automatically reduce the gain on the audio as it is ripped to get rid of the "clipping" (distortion when the person talks loudly) that is usually present. Again, I can manually do it with Audacity every week, but it will take too long to justify messing with it.

[rant]I don't know what the people who designed WMP11 were thinking, but it seems like it is a big step backwards in functionality with a better looking skin. I still have not upgraded to it on my personal computer, and there isn't even any way to get it to stop bugging me "A Windows Media Player Update is available, would you like to upgrade?". No, I would not like to "upgrade" to a player that is worse than the one that I currently have![/rant]

Thanks in advance for any help that you offer. I have tried google, but I just can't find any advice for this.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. liambl

liambl Folding at home.

WMP11 is designed for ripping music to the hard drive for playback and for that you don't want to go below 128kbps, so I dont think its fair to blame WMP. I would find another program to rip. Someone else may be able to provide a suggestion.

3. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

Why not use CDex to do it? You can set CDex up to encode to whatever bitrate you'd like using any available codec on your system. And it's a substantially better ripper than WMP. IMO, it's the best ripper on the market free of otherwise.

4. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

I second the CDex recommendation. It is an excellent piece of software.

5. andper10

andper10

Thanks for the CDex recommendation. I tried it out this week and it worked, but I used the default "Lame MP3 encoder 1.30" and it took at least double the time it takes to rip a CD in Windows Media Player. There is a huge list of Encoders, is the "Windows MP3 Codec" the one that WMP uses? I would like to use the same one that WMP uses because WMP rips the audio faster.

I didn't know if I should start a new thread for this, but I am now looking for some free software to combine the CD tracks so that I have one MP3 file that I can upload instead of uploading a M3U playlist and ~10 tracks. I am working toward getting it so that other people can download a single MP3 file and put it on their MP3 player and listen to the audio on the go and not have to sit in their computer while they listen (because the audio is seperated into 10 tracks). The only one that I have found so far is Media Join ( http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Media-Join-Download-20049.html ). The problem is that no matter what bitrate I set it to for the final single file, it always comes out to about 45MB (even though the individual tracks are ~23 MB total). I think that there is some sort of bug in the software or something. So thanks for your help, and if you know of a good program that I can use to combine multiple mp3 tracks, I would appreciate it.

6. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

I can rip a 70 minute CD in CDex (using the Lame codec) in maybe 3 minutes (at 192bps). I've never used WMP to rip so I can't comment on the speed, but if 3 minutes is too slow, I don't know what to tell you.

You can use Audacity to compile your tracks. Just cut-n-paste to the end of the first track.

7. andper10

andper10

Well, I could probably rip audio that fast on my computer too, but for my situation I have to use a computer with an old AMD Athlon CPU and 192MB of Ram :eek:. So the entire time I am ripping audio the CPU is maxed out at 100% and the ram is being heavliy used. I think it took about 6-8 minutes to rip 10 tracks. I will mess with the codecs some more, but since this computer is not at my house, I have to pre-plan what I want to try each week. Maybe I will try Audacity, but even on my Core 2 Quad computer it takes 2 minutes to import and 2 minutes to export a 50 minute MP3, so that would probably add another 6-8 minutes. I have ordered a ram upgrade for the computer, but since it is mainly used for powerpoints, there isn't a plan to replace it with a newer/better one any time soon, so I am just trying to find the quickest way to use what I have available. Thanks for your help everyone. If anyone else has a better idea about a program to combine the audio, I would appreciate it.