Break-in period for a newly built computer?

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by cdplayer, May 30, 2005.

1. cdplayer

cdplayer

I finished building my first computer today! I am wondering if there is a break-in period once a computer has been built. If so, what is it?

I did a forum search I could not find anything on that topic.

Thanks! :)

2. kram

kram

Can you be more specific - what do you mean by "break in period"?

Thanks.
    kram

3. cdplayer

cdplayer

I guess I am think along the lines of when one buys a car. So should I leave the computer on for so many hours before cutting it off? Should the computer be on for only x number of hours. What should I be looking at during the first 48 hrs?

Thanks for asking! :)

4. mikezel

mikezel

No, there is no "break-in period necessary". The only thing you might want to check are your temperatures, but other than that, you can just use it as normal.

mike

5. cdplayer

cdplayer

Thanks for replying Mike! :cool:

I would hate to have a melt down after having such a productive day! :D

One build down one more to go…

Cheers! :)

6. Staren

Staren

Yep, either go into BIOS or install a program like Motherboard Monitor to see what your temps are. You also might want to take a quick sniff at the Power Supply (yes it sounds weird). Sometimes there will be a little bit of a 'burn-in' on the internal parts of the PSU getting used to being at that temp. So if it smells a little like plastic for a day don't freak. Just do that if it lasts for more then a week or so. Other then that you should be set.

7. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Folks used to "burn-in" their computers back in the i286 to i486 days (run the computer for 24 hours to see if anything would die), but that's not necessary anymore.

:) Cricket

8. cdplayer

cdplayer

Thanks Staren & Cricket for the tips! :cool:

Staren I will checkout the software. I was just wondering if there was some software available that would monitor the motherboard. Here I go sniffing. :)

Cricket I guess that means I can cut the computer off before going to bed. Thanks! I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night and discover that the condo is on fire!! :D

Thanks guys!

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

A lot of motherboards come with monitoring software (Asus Probe, Intel Active Monitor, etc.) - check the CD.

10. cdplayer

cdplayer

Thanks glc for the info!

What a rip! :mad: There is nothing on the CD that looks a utility that monitors the system. Maybe they have something on their site (Gigabyte). I reviewed the manual, nothing there.

11. Antistupid

Antistupid

Are you sure it's not on the CD? Maybe it's under the utilities folder? If not then you can always use the BIOS to check your temperatures. But there should be a mother utility that come up with the motherboard.

12. cdplayer

cdplayer

Thanks Antistupid!

I will check again! :)

13. sigmaseven

sigmaseven

A succesful folding at home run or prime 95 run always helps to alleviate any worries over a new computer. :)

14. cdplayer

cdplayer

Many thanks sigmaseven! :cool:

This is one interesting way making sure ones new computer is functioning well. Get a complete primality test! :) I have only scanned the site info for the Prime 95 software will have to do some in depth reading about both. Sounds very interesting. What I have read I like!

Thanks! :D

15. foolishone

foolishone

Similarly, you could also run MemTest. I think it also has an option somewhere to max out both the CPU and the RAM. Prime95 and F@H also do that, but are also there to provide a result, whereas MemTest was made specifcally for what you want to do.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

^fo

16. cdplayer

cdplayer

This software design by hcidesign is a tool I can certainly use on my new computer build and a older machine I refuse to throw away! I have not overclocked any of my machines but writing bad data to the disk because of faulty memory is no fun! :(

Thanks foolishone! :cool: