booting up "loop"

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by Needtoknow, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

Hello,
    I installed a Geforce 32meg mmx400 on my son's k7 550. Loaded latest drivers etc. Now it boots to the splash screen, goes black and then starts booting again, or sends it in to safe mode.
    This thing isn't stable. I was getting a bsod with a vxd error, I thought it may be a conflict with old drivers and such, I think I have all the old Voodoo 3 drivers off, but I am beat.
    Looking at selective startup, thinking ....
    Any help's always appreciated.
    Thanks

2. bailey

bailey

put the old board back in, go to device manager, remove the graphice there, turn off computer, put new card in, turn on computer, have the cd handy to install the drivers

reason, you need to remove the old drivers first, before installing the new one

3. reboot

reboot

Yup, uninstall the old drivers, set resolution to 640x480, standard VGA adapter, at 256 colors, and you can even simply specify a 1024x768 standard monitor.
    Save all the settings, shutdown, and put the new card in.

4. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

Hello,
    Thanks guys, I thought I had basically done that, but when I did it as you described, it actually worked, cept now the cdrom opens and freezes, i have to pull the power and reattach it and it closes the door and proceeds, never did that before the new video card??
    Thanks

ps Okay, it works ok and Age of Mythology actually plays, which was the beginning goal anyway.
    Again, thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2003