best 3d card for under £150 ($225)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Benchmarks' started by JIMBOB, Jan 6, 2001.

1. JIMBOB

JIMBOB

im about to upgrade to a
    duron 800,
    soundblaster 1024,
    128meg ram 133mhz
    ?????? graphics

i was wonderin what u guys thought was the best card for me to buy cause i was thinkin of

ATI rage fury max 64meg or
    V6600 pro agp 64meg

i dont know much about graphics cards and am just about to go and read some reviews and find out some info

but i always thought more memory was better but obviously not as the price of some 32meg cards is $$$$ in comparison to the 2 above can anybody explain and put me right
    thanks

2. raydioactive

raydioactive

That's easy, a card based on the Geforce 2mx chip. I have one, the hercules 3d prophet2mx. I've seen these in pc world for £99.99 now. If you do get one, get the full retail version that comes in a box, not the oem version. This card will overclock with ease to memory clock 200mz and core clock 200mz. Hope that's helpful to you.

3. Xayd

Xayd

The difference between 64 meg and 32 meg cards currently is nil, in raw speed, maybe an extra 10 frames per second above the 32 meg cards in most games, if that.

You should be able to find a 32 meg Geforce2 online for 200-225, that'd be my first choice at the moment, since 3dfx is kaput.

I personally have a Voodoo5 and love it, but 3dfx is out of business, so there won't be any more driver updates.

Xayd

4. JIMBOB

JIMBOB

thanks for the info,

anybody else agree?, disagree? or have something different to recomend

5. Xayd

Xayd