Belkin Router (Need help)

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Demigod, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Demigod

Demigod

I'm having the same EXACT problem except that the unplugging and plugging back in the router and modem didn't work for me. Neither did doing a hard reset on the router. But the weird thing is that I'm sure it's not a problem with the router because I bought the EXACT same router again and the new one doesn't work either. It might be useful to know that the router wouldn't connect right after a storm in my area where all the power went off.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

What type of internet, Cable or DSL?

If this is Cable, then unplug the AC from the cable modem for several minutes (about 5), reconnect the power,(let it warm up and connect to the cable) then connect the router to the cable modem and then conenct a PC to the router. (of course, cable modem to the wan on the router, then PC ro say port 1)

IF this is DSL, let us know what DSL modem you have.

3. Demigod

Demigod

I'm using a cable modem and I tried what you said but it still doesnt work. The WLAN, Power, and Port 1 lights are on, but the WAN isn't on and neither is the connected light.

I'm thinking of buying a linksys router to see if a different brand would work, but I don't want to waste any money if I can fix the Belkin one.

Any other ideas?

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader

When you went to the lan party did anyone reconfigure your router? If so it's possible that they changed the WAN settings from receiving its IP address from DHCP to a static IP address. If that happened you would not be connecting to the cable modem because the WAN address is most likely set to a private IP address e.g. 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x and the cable modem is not operating in the same address block.

Just log onto your router from the lan side and check the WAN configuration.

5. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

Good point, setting back to a factory default might help as well.

6. Demigod

Demigod

Actually, I guess my story is not exactly similar to his. I never went to a LAN party, instead my router stopped working after a storm in my area in which there was a blackout. I'm pretty sure no one reconfigured my router.

But I tried hooking up the new router I bought (exact same model as the one that doesn't work) and did the hard reset and it worked. Don't know why, could hardly care :D

Thank you for trying to help me, I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005