avg free vs avg paid

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Charles, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Charles

Charles

I am currently running avg free version on all my computers with XP Pro. What are the advantages, major differences of running AVG PAID version? I noticed they advertise an enhanced Firewall with their paid version. How different is that firewall than Windows or their free version?

Thanks.

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

The only difference I am aware of is the location of the update servers. The free version updates are downloaded from servers located in Czechoslovakia and they have less bandwidth than the paid for update servers that I believe are located in Paris France, this just results in slowdowns on the free updates now and again.
    As regards the firewall I don't know much about it because I use my router firewall and Windows built in firewall.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The paid version also gets you tech support.

4. David M

David M Techphile.

The odds of not getting malware are probably much more in your favor by having a few of the freebies watching over you than having one payware version.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

Might want to look on their site for the "Comparrison" chart;)

6. Charles

Charles

Thanks. On how many computers can you install their paid version?

7. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

The Windows Firewall is good, from what I hear. Personally, I don't like it: I want to be the one in charge of which programs connect to the Internet and which ones don't (i.e. I always block WMP), and I just don't trust M$ to let me block its own software so that it doesn't phone home.

That being said, the AVG firewall should be better than the Windows Firewall (better as in giving you more/more detailed control) in order to justify someone paying for it. As to whether it actually is, I don't know as I use Comodo, but maybe someone here uses AVG payware and can answer that question.

8. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

1 computer, 1 year.

9. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

Charles - look on AVG's web site for detailed info;)

As you know - most apps are sold for one pc...But many companys sell multi license.

10. David M

David M Techphile.

If your looking for a free firewall then Zonealarm has one. Once it knows your preferences then it fades into the background pretty well. It also catches Microsoft phoning home if you prefer to stop that.

11. keonichavez

keonichavez

Hi Charles, I'm Keoni Chavez, Junior Community Manager at AVG. You can check out a comparison between our free and paid products at: AVG Free - Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Windows 7, XP and Vista

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about either product. You can also follow us on Twitter (@avgfree) for up-to-date tips and news about online security and threat warnings.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Best,
    Keoni Chavez