AVG ActiveX Finds

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by nin137, May 4, 2008.

1. nin137

nin137

just ran my first scan under AVG Free 8.0 and it turned up about 200 some "warnings" all of which seem to stem from my registry. Nearly all of them pertain to Microsoft Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility.

A few of them have horrifying names such as "Trojan.Bomka" or "Downloader.ConHook.I"

My question is whether I can go ahead and just clear all of these warnings. I'm not quite sure where they stand in terms of being a threat to my system. I am inclined to just wipe them out, any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. cmillar6

cmillar6

are you using spywareblaster?? If using this program AVG 8.0 shows all the registry entries spywareblaster makes to prevent Active X from being installed. This is a known issue and I don't think they have an update for it yet. Just ignore them like I do.

3. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Do you use CCleaner? If you do, try running the Registry cleaner to clean out unnecessary registry keys, then run AVG and a few other anti-spyware scanners just to be sure your system is clean. I would use Spybot: Search & Destroy, SuperAntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator to scan for spyware.

:) Cricket

4. nin137

nin137

I do use spyware blaster and that explanation makes sense. I ran both CCleaner and Spybot and nothing new came up.

I will leave it alone for now.

Thanks for the help!

5. Negeva

Negeva

Pretty sure AVG 8 does the same thing with Spybot Immunize feature too.

6. ThePoor

ThePoor

I just scanned my system today and AVG 8 found more 40 ActiveX with Adware. Is this correctly? Because I scanned my system with Spybot, Ad aware, and Zone Alarm anti spy but none found ActiveX...

7. kev7555

kev7555 brewer, mostly...

All of you who are finding these activeX objects should run ccleaner first (and don't forget to use the registry cleaner option as well) then scan with AVG and see if the problems return.

I am running both Spybot S and D and Spywareblaster and AVG is finding no such entries on my systems.

-Kev

8. cmillar6

cmillar6

what version of AVG are you using?

9. kev7555

The newest one, AVG 8.0 free edition.

10. cmillar6

cmillar6

I am not sure why you are not seeing this, its well documented in the AVG forums that this issue exists. SpywareBlaster makes entries in the registry to prevent Active X from being installed and AVG 8.0 tags them as malware, perhaps CCleaner is removing these entries made by spywareblaster and thus making the program useless.

See FAQ#1319 on AVG's website

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1244#faq_1244

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  11. kev7555

No, ccleaner does not make Spywareblaster useless. I have been running both of these programs together on my own and all of my customer's systems for quite some time now.

Have you tried using a registry cleaner as suggested?