AVG 8 update keeps asking for a reboot; doesn't apply

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Force Flow, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

This is on XP SP3. The update manager update requests a restart to apply an update, but after the machine reboots it asks again. I've gone through this loop 3 times now.

Last update: 7/9/2008 10:15AM

Version: 8.0.136

Update Manager
    The update Needs Restart

Any ideas or anyone else run into this?

2. raftero

raftero

can't help as to why but i just finished the update and did not get the reboot request.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The AVG updater has been behaving well so far on both my Win2K and my XP machines - I think since I installed it I've had to reboot 2 or 3 times for program updates, and never for a definition update.

4. sammons

sammons

THis is happenign to me too. It's driving me nuts

:eek:(

5. Ray_S

Ray_S

This was happening to me. I have fixed it by doing a repair install and then letting the update manager do its job. I had tried this before so I believe it must have been a corrupted update package.

Hope this helps.

Ray

6. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

I ended up downloading the latest version of AVG, uninstalling the current version, and installing the newest version. It pulled some updates, but didn't ask for a reboot.

So, it *looks* like that fixed it for now.

7. peterg7

peterg7

AVG 8.0 Update Manager The update Needs Restart

PROBLEM:
    My system is XP SP3. The update manager update requests a restart to apply an update, but after the machine reboots it asks again. I went through this loop at least 5 times and always AVG indicates it has updated but that it requires a restart.

Version: 8.0.134

Update Manager
    The update Needs Restart

<><><><><><><><>

I took your suggestion, Force Flow and was successful. Huge thanks!

The AVG Knowledge Database recommended uninstalling my AVG Free and purchasing and installing a paid version to fix this issue, but I uninstalled and reinstalled a more recent build of AVG 8.0 Free and it solved the problem.

I have used AVG for years and have never encountered a problem the free program could not fix. This was the first glitch I've had with AVG .

Problem with AVG 8 Build 134 as follows:
    Got the following 2 infection results after a scheduled scan:
    Program: Dr. DIVX Music File Converter
    Virus: DivXInstaller.exe

Program: DivXInstaller.exe:\$JK\DivXConnectionTester.exe

AVG could not remove the selected files. The name of the infections were the same - Generic.IMQ.

<><><><><><><><>

So I uninstalled AVG 8, rebooted, and then downloaded and installed the latest version of AVG 8.0 Free (Build 138).

THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Peter

8. Lord_Webby

Lord_Webby

We have AVG AV 8 Network Edition at work and are having the exact same problem. Spoken to AVG and they say uninstall & reinstall AVG. We have multiple clients with 2000+ machines! Do they really think we're gonna do that to every one and be happy with that solution? What happened to being able to roll back an update? :mad:

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you have the network edition, you should be able to push updates out to all the clients.

10. avguser

avguser

AVG update loop restart fix

hi avg users,

please backup your system before attempting the following. i cannot be held responsible for damage to your avg installation/pc. proceed at your own risk!

give the following a go:

goto: C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8

rename: updatecomps.cfg to updatecomps.cfg.old

run avg updater

reboot

should fix!

If you have 2000 pcs/laptops to perform this on (test first on one), probably best to roll out a script to rename the file via gp or your preferred method depending on os.

not sure how this has happened, none of our clients have experienced this, either avg's fault or network packet loss causing corrupt files. maybe an idea to check your networking hw, but if your confident then either bad luck or its avg dispatching corrupt files.

i am quite surprised avg said reinstall, that’s not a fix, just work around. they are normally pretty good.

good luck!

Tim (avg uk reseller / network & server engineer)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  11. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

avguser.
    Do you have anyway to qualify this fix? Do you have any sources of reference for it?

To anyone wanting to try this fix. I strongly recommend you rename the file rather than delete it until you are certain the fix works without causing any other kind of problem.

rjfvillarosa ~ securities forum moderator.

12. avguser

avguser

worked fine for me!

ive updated the post.

and yes, rename if you dont use your recycle bin.

13. rjfvillarosa

Tim.
    I hope your suggestion works OK for Lord Webby, updating/fixing 2000+ machines would be a nightmare.
    Thanks for the tip.

14. HyPeR

HyPeR

Worked perfectly... thanks a lot! And I didn't have to reboot once :)

15. Energy Recruitment

Energy Recruitment

hi,
    Ok I’ve received a lot of comments on my series of posts on the topic of AVG 8.0 free anti-virus…now I know what you are thinking some of these sound down right MESSED UP…but they are all fixes and modifications I’ve made for over 6244 clients that have contacted me..so give it a shot or switch to AVIRA or AVAST….

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> Other issues I have discovered is that the longer you have AVG 8.0 on your system the longer the scan takes…example…the first time I ran the scan it took 2hr and 45min now it takes up to 10hrs and 45min…and this is the same system..with no extra files installed on it…….and a freshly formatted computer with 512megs of ram 60gig hard-drive…Windows Xp Home Service Pack 2…

(NOTE THAT IF YOU DO DECIDE TO FOLLOW ANY OF MY RE-FORMATTING OPTIONS…..BACK-UP YOUR DATA…AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE DISK TO RE-INSTALL EVERYTHING…)

The Following are ISSUES AND FIXES for both AVG 8.0 and the new AVG 8.0.175. This post also still covers all the older updates too AVG Free Anti-Virus 8.0…..

AVG install or Un-install issues

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]-->
    - Why do I get an error on Vista that? Says”General Error, Not enough Free Memory”

*The reason is that you are not installing AVG in the Administrator mode…Vista is warning you, that you do not have the privileged or access in Window’s own Cryptic WAY…So here is the fix…

(Fix: Use the Right mouse button and click the Option that says Run as Administrator…..there you are done…and it will install…)

- Invalid or Cluttered Registry - All I mean by this is that even thou you have uninstalled AVG 7 or 7.5 it is still has an entry’s hidden in your core of your computer….and sometime that cause AVG 8.0 to have a heart attack…because it cause a conflict… (Fix: If you have a registry fixer..run the scan and remove the invalid entry’s..)

- Having an older version of AVG…anyone (Fix: Un-install and restart computer…then go into C: drive and remove any AVG file folders with the word Grisoft, AVG 7 or AVG 7.5, AVG Root kit…or AVG anti-spyware…Anything not AVG 8.0…then re-start and if you have a registry scanner..run again..and it should work)

16. rjfvillarosa

Energy Recruitment. I have removed the advertising link from your signature.
    Please reread the forum rules paying particular attention to rule #6.

Thank you for understanding.

17. luv_ktv

luv_ktv

that's totally cool!

everyday, once i turn on my computer, my avg will ask me to restart. I thought it has downloaded and installed updates, thus requiring the reboot.

Now that I renamed the file, and running the updater, I am actually getting 2 updates, totalling to 35MB.

AVG did not have such problem on XP.

Hope things will work fine after the update!

PS: Thanks for sharing the fix. I chanced upon this site and saw ur response. In order to thank you, I registered myself... although it may be the only time I visit this site..

18. tgazda

tgazda

AVG 8.0 repeated reboot requests

I am on XP SP2. Been getting these repeated requests since this morning 2/4/09 after the latest update to 8.0.233

Because of this I could not receive email into my accounts (send was OK) using Outlook Express and got repeated server disconnects. Despite repeated reboots, cleaning my registry and even shutdown, etc., eetc., nothing helped.

Until I turned off the AVG 8.0 email scanner. Then everything works fine now. Getting my email just fine at three different email addresses via OE. As soon as I turn the email scanner back on, the same problem comes back.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be a problem with a computer using full Outlook.

Looks to me like there is some kind of bug in the email scanner download. Anyone out there from AVG monitoring this???

19. Petef56

Petef56

In my experience, your solution above seems to be the best fix
    anytime AVG begins to act really wierd.

---pete---

20. HAL9000

HAL9000

I had the same problem on only one of my four machines... I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version and all was well.