Asus 9800XT Pro

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by carlmccut, Nov 13, 2006.

1. carlmccut

carlmccut

Well it has been toooo long since I been here. Good to see things are still going strong.
    My problem is I have a older rig with an ASUS radeon 9800XT pro vid card that has went on the blink. The card still works but no fan is it over heats as soon as you boot up. I am looking for a replacement for it and am looking for some suggestions. I would ultimately like to replace it with the same card. I was checking to see if a PCI E card would work. Any suggestions??

Thanks
    :(

2. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Hi Carl,
    If you want to use a PCI-E card you will need a PCI_E motherboard.
    In your case you need an AGP card and there are still a few out there.
    How much were you planning to spend and does it have to be ATI ?

3. carlmccut

carlmccut

Yup I know I need a AGP card. I am willing to go around $300 or more for a good card. I bought the 9800XT when it first came out spent $$$$$$.

I found a fan that saya it fits the 9800 for $20 going to order and try. If you know of a replacement card let me know.

4. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

5. (51)

(51)

My ASUS 9800XT fan failed a few months ago as well (I also bought it at launch). I replaced it with an ATI Radeon X800XT AGP. After searching for this product, it seems it has been discontinued. :(

I guess we'll have to step up to PCI-E soon.

I haven't review this card, but you might:
    http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3122115&section_id=8#MyGearSection

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  6. carlmccut

carlmccut

YUP, It is time for a new rig. I have built two others since this one. This one is sentamental, I had a window laser etched of our wedding portrait, plus it still is a fast unit. Well I am waiting for the fan to arrive. Does any one know what voltage the fan on the 9800xt runs at? I do not want to mess anything up trying to put a meter on the pins for the fan.

7. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

8. Tin

Tin Stereo junkie

Just North of Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit
    Its about time to build a new box :D. $300 can get you a very nice PCI-E card. Heck, $200 will as well, since the 7900GS and X1950 Pro are considered "high mid-range" and really provide alot of bang for the buck. I just picked up a 7900GS from Best Buy for $150 with a $50 instant rebate. Ive turned up all the in-game eye candy and it hums right along no problem. Of course, if I did have to spend the $200, I wouldve gotten the X1950 Pro since it really is a better performer, albeit only noticeable in benchmarks. Conroe and PCI-E...we salute you :D.

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The X1950 Pro AGP will be here pretty soon. I'm guessing the street price will be in the $220 to $250 range. If you want something *now* you can get an X850XT for $140. That's still a very strong card. No need to bury that AGP system, you have a strong one there.