Anyone help me out?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Benchmarks' started by bwtur88, Dec 3, 2006.

1. bwtur88

bwtur88

Just joined the forum and am new to all of this. What upgrades should I make to my computer for gaming? For instance, when playing Rome:Total War on my PC - the game will get choppy or jumpy when getting into the really large battles or when a large number of archers use 'flaming arrows'. Instead of smooth action on the screen you get the stop - start action. Was just wondering what is the best thing to do to make the battle scenes run more smoothly? Thanks for any help!

2. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

How bout some system specs? Store bought or home built pc? What video card, ram, etc.

3. bwtur88

bwtur88

Subsystem Status Description
    System Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz
    Memory 512MB RAM
    Disk Drives C, J
    Video Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Internet MSIE 6.0; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322
    Windows Windows XP Pro SP2

Got this from pc pit stop, does this help?

4. Alaron

Alaron Kickin' it

Your system is using onboard video, which won't cut it for new games. You'll need a video card, but before we can recommend one, we need a motherboard model and power supply size. If its a name-brand computer, let us know the model. If its home-built, try opening the case.

Moving up to 1GB of RAM would improve performance too.

5. bwtur88

bwtur88

It is a Dell Dimension DM051.

6. bwtur88

bwtur88

Also, if upgrading to 1GB of RAM, is there any specific brand I should get?

7. Alaron

Alaron Kickin' it

Crucial guarantees compatible RAM for name brand systems. Here is the link for your system: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension+5150 I would get at least another 512MB.

According to Dell, your system is a Dimension 5150. (The DM051 is the BIOS string ID). And according to the 5150's technical specs, you have a free PCI-Express slot and a 305W power supply. Unfortunately 305w doesn't give you too much head room for a very powerful video card, but Dell power supplies are usually high quality, so you can still get one. (Dell's spec link for anyone interested: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs1.htm#wp1052310 )

I don't know your budget, but I'll keep it low. Take a look at this card:
    Radeon X1300Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127193

8. bwtur88

bwtur88

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. As far as the video cards go - if you could go around $200 - what would be the best bang for the buck?

9. Alaron

Alaron Kickin' it

10. bwtur88

bwtur88

Thanks again. So is there a way to increase the power supply?

11. bwtur88

bwtur88

Ok, did some research on the power supplies. Which brand would you guys recomend and how much as far as total power? I have read that quality is much more important than quanity. Again, thanks for all your help.

12. Alaron

Alaron Kickin' it

The issue with Dells is that they don't always use standard power supply sizes, so upgrading can be difficult. So I would stick with the x800 card I linked to earlier. It will play any game out there, definitely Total War, very well. And with the RAM upgrade, your whole system will run faster. Those upgrades combined with the system you have will be a fine gamer for awhile. Then when you need more power you can look into a full system upgrade. And we are here to help with that. :)

13. bwtur88

bwtur88

Thanks Again!!! I'll go with your suggestions.