AMD Gaming Build need some help

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by DMeis, Jul 16, 2007.

1. DMeis

DMeis

Hey guys this will be my first time building a computer and I need some help. The build will be primarily for Video Games and homework, programs like Excel and Word. I'd like to keep the rest of the Build under $1200. I'm looking to get 2 Gigs of ram into the build and will be running XP. The guy im buying most of my parts from suggested that I go with the AMD 4800+ because it was the best bang for your buck CPU, what are the other alternatives in the price range? Currently I have the Motherboard and Videocard already purchased. T
    Motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22479&vpn=GA-M61PM-S2&manufacture=Gigabyte
    Video Card: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23702&vpn=PVT84JUDF3&manufacture=XFX
    I from Canada so ill be working in Canadian Dollars.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. marine63

marine63 Banned

id consider buying a e6600 instead

3. freakitchen

freakitchen Computing Professor Staff Member

marine63, try and read posts carefully - DMeis has already purchased a motherboard, so he's going to have to build AMD!

Looking at AMD's current lineup, either the 4800 or the 5000 look like the best 'value' for money to me - you wouldn't really notice the difference between them. Definitely go for 2GB of RAM, I'd recommend Corsair XMS DDR2-800 for an AM2 system. Add a hard drive from Seagate - 250GB or more, and a Retail Lite-on or NEC DVD-RW drive, and you'll be nearly there. Final consideration is a case and power supply. The Antec Sonata III might fit the bill here:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24294&vpn=SONATA III&manufacture=ANTEC

4. marine63

marine63 Banned

o srry im blind >.< well he should have came to us instead of going out and buying stuff :p
    doesnt zipzoomfly or newegg ship to canada?
    consider buying windows vista or later for the directx 10 mawhahhahaha
    i know that core 2 duo run with 677 ram but does athlon x2 run with 800 ram?

5. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

The 4800+ seems to be the best bang for your buck processor in the AM2 package...I guess that would make it a good choice.

So now you'll need RAM (PC2-6400 DDR2 800), a hard drive (Seagate 7200.10 SATA HDD), a optical drive (Lite-On DVD burner), possibly a sound card, a power supply and a case (Antec Sonata III?). Unless you also need the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

:) Cricket

6. marine63

marine63 Banned

7. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

This really isn't your thread...by asking your own questions you're hijacking DMeis's thread.
    No, neither vendor ships to Canada.
    Yes, AM2 Athlons use DDR2 800 RAM.

:) Cricket

8. DMeis

DMeis

Thanks for the replies guys I think ill deffinately be under budget. I was wondering what were your thoughts on the Antec 900 case? It has great reviews and the added fans seem nice, but would it be quiet?

9. marine63

marine63 Banned

words hurts u no...

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900
    :) looks good to me if u get it ill be so jealous D:

10. Katreat

Katreat

Have been looking at that case for my next build also and most reviewers say it is surprisingly quite at low fan settings. Also, because it has so many fans you can actually run it at low ran settings. If you are looking for quiet you might also check out the Antec P18X series which was designed for quiet.

Kat

11. DMeis

DMeis

I was also considering SLI, the return policy is still good on the motherboard so I could trade it in for a similar version of what I have that supports SLI. I was wondering with the video card i've bought would it but worth it to someday run an SLI setup?

12. jer888

jer888

Sli isn't really worth it in any case. Its better to take that money and put it towards a next gen card then to buy another old card. The technology just moves too fast to buy old stuff when you could just buy from the new generation.

13. Katreat

Katreat

SLI is a way to make the best better. For the price of an SLI board, bigger PSU, and a second 8600 you could have just gotten the low end 8800 and been miles ahead on performance. So unless money is of no concern and you can buy two of the best cards out there you will be money ahead just buying what the budget allows now and then upgrading 2-3 years down the road to something better.

Kat

14. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

Sli is a marketing gimic, one good powerful card will be better than two.. I have the Antec 900 (sig) it has plenty of cooling and air flow..

15. DMeis

DMeis

Alright thanks!

16. mojo

mojo Ceiling cat is watching!

Agreed. If money is no object and you want the absolute best performance, then yes, by 2 top of the line cards and run SLI. But it's not a good idea to get 2 mid-grade cards instead of one high-end card. The high-end card will be cheaper, faster, quieter, and cooler than the 2 cards will be running together. When it comes to future upgrades, you'll be better off getting a new card than another old one.