Am I the only one that's extremely annoyed by this?...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hi Ho, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

Does anyone else find those Chrystler commercials extremely annoying? :eek: I don't usually get so annoyed about commercials, even the most annoying ones. These are so bad that I jump up and run across the room to mute the sound if I don't have the remote handy. :D

2. bigandy

bigandy Folding For PCMech

To be honest, I watch so little TV that I don't even know what they're like.

3. kstatefan40

kstatefan40 Systems Analyst Staff Member

You aren't the only one who is annoyed. I turn the channel or turn the TV off... whichever is easiest at the time. I can't stand them, the sonic commercials, and a few other recent ones. Marketting has really gone downhill lately.

4. patrickacox

patrickacox

I have never seen one before. I only watch like 1-2 hours of tv a week.

5. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

The only one I find annoying is the one with Snoop and Lee golfing. Can't understand a word Snoop says! Nor do I care to. Iacocoa's a bit of a dinosaur and "the deal" is getting old too.

6. wolfie

wolfie

its the new burger king commercials that drive me nuts

7. HAL9000

HAL9000

I only get annoyed by Ford commercials that brag about quality being job 1... it ain't there... the only other annoyance I have about car manufacturers is how all the american manufacturers are going on about employee pricing. I remember for years hearing each and every one of them advertize their vehicles and what their employees get them for... and I care about this because???? Why do I want to buy a vehicle and hear about how somebody else gets it cheaper than I do? Finally, I don't believe the "employee pricing" anyway... all marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

8. Statica

Statica

Yes look what happened to his car :

http://www.midnight-x.com/1128/mustang.jpg

:D
    Hal .. just helping you!

9. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

I haven't watched TV in 4 or 5 months.

10. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

the ONLY chrysler commerical I like is with Lee Iacocca and Snoop dogg

"if the ride is more fly, then you must buy"

cracks me up every time...

11. Hi Ho

^That's the worst one! :eek: I can't stand them. There are a lot of annoying commercials but the Chrystler ones come on twice in every commercial set! They must be desperate.

I don't watch all that much TV. Mainly the news, shows like Dateline and 20/20, The Simpsons, 24, etc.

12. HAL9000

HAL9000

Chrysler is hardly desparate... at one time, they were on the edge of bankruptcy, but Lee Iacocca is a very intelligent man and really turned things around. If anyone has innovation and unique and stylish cars out of the big three these days, it's Chrysler.

And from this article below... seems while all three have had sales gains, Chrysler has had the most impressive, and Ford the most mediocre;

As for August sales, GM posted an 18 percent gain in daily U.S. sales rate as it sold 489,471 new cars and light trucks in the period. GM calculates that August 2002 had one more sales day than the year-ago month, so the overall gain in sales increased 22.4 percent. Light trucks saw a 27.4 percent gain in daily sales rate, while car models posted a more modest 7.4 percent gain.

GM said that its year-to-date U.S. light vehicle sales are up 4.4 percent, as it has overcome weak demand for fleet purchases from businesses, especially car rental companies. The retail sales to consumers gained even more than overall sales, up 8 percent.

Ford (F: up $0.06 to $11.00, Research, Estimates), the world's No. 2 automaker, posted a 12.1 percent gain to sell 365,406 cars and light trucks, a record for August and the best sales month so far this year. The company sold 325,943 U.S. vehicles in August 2001. The company saw a 15 percent gain in car models and a 10.3 percent rise in the sale of light trucks. All of Ford's brands except Volvo posted a sales gain in the month.

"We're not where we want to be or where we need to be but we are improving," said George Pipas, Ford's head of sales reporting and analysis.

The company also announced it expected to build 960,000 vehicles in North America during the fourth quarter, up from the 940,000 it expects to build in the current period.

Chrysler, the North American unit of DaimlerChrysler AG (DCX: up $1.66 to $41.53, Research, Estimates), sold 210,855 vehicles, up from 164,555 in the same month a year earlier, giving it a 28 percent gain in overall sales, and a 24 percent gain in its daily sales rate due to an extra sales date in August this year by Chrysler's calculation.

Chrysler also saw gains across its various models and brands, as cars posted a 25 percent gain in daily sales and trucks posted a 23 percent gain.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  13. guruboy

guruboy

Omg! I agree about the Sonic commercials! I though my hating them so much was just me.

It seems like every American car is somehow topped by an import. No offense at all to America.

14. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

sorry, but I think it is priceless...

now, as to the 2 chrysler ads in the same stop set, I asked my wife about that (she is in the traffic department for the cable company, she makes sure that spots are scheduled and run as they are supposed to and her knowledge is better than my 20 years out od date knowledge). What can happen is that there are different run schedules (called "buys") for spots:

some are "national"; that is to say placed, paid for and run across the nation.
    some are "regional"; placed, paid for an run in that region (say the Southeast, the Northwest or whatever)
    some are DMA: placed, paid for and run for the "Dominant Market Area" (a subregional/local run)
    some are purely local (these are usually happen on cable stations where the same cable company covers a city and a few other towns, like here the cable company covers: Raleigh, Charlotte, Fayetteville and Wilmington, they can run spots for raleigh only, charlotte only etc).

now a running a national spot does not cover the obligation of a DMA buy, so to meet that obligation, the station/network/cable operator has to run 2 spots (to get paid). many times the right hand and left hand don't know what the other is doing so they end up with double buys (this is, from a marketing perspective, a bad thing because you end up with "negative saturation" aka over exposure/play and your ROI on your marketing expenditure is not as effective as it could be).

good traffic departments try to ensure that this happens as infrequently
    as possible, but that doesn't always happen as you only have a finite number of break slots and invariably 2 spots have to run in the same stop set.

here endth the lesson on broadcast operations

15. secretagent558

secretagent558

Most car commercials are annoying. Chrysler is coming out with some great products. The 300c is awesome, the Pacifica is the only minivan I'd ever touch (still wouldn't buy one though). Ford came out with the new Mustang which is very nice (still need to do something about the POS Explorer), and GM has come out with the Cobalt SS which will hopefully take a bite out of the import scene. I think the big 3 are finally responding to everyone buying imports. (btw this is coming from a GM guy).

If you want to see reliability go to the link below and click on the Toyota Hilux video it is awesome

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/

16. Hi Ho

If the Explorer is such a "POS" then why has it been the best selling SUV ever since it came on the market?

I agree that chrystler seems to be turning around and coming out with better vehicles but I'm still not impressed with GM's quality. They just aren't built like the imports. When you compare a Civic to a Cobalt the Civic is much more substantial and solidly built. If GM would fix those quality problems they would be more competetive. I don't think I've ever ridden in a GM vehicle that was free of squeaks and rattles. Maybe that doesn't annoy anyone else, but it annoys me.

17. secretagent558

secretagent558

I honestly don't know why people buy Explorers. I just hate when I have to drive them at work because there are a lot of little things that annoy me. One reason is they were the first SUV designed with soccer moms in mind. I've heard a lot of people talk about the build quality and I really don't see much of a difference except when it's expensive imports. If you look at Infinitis and Lexus they have very nice interiors compared to Cadillac and Lincoln. So yeah you're right but it's not just with GM. BTW the Infiniti G35 makes me drool :)

So basically if the ride is more fly, then you must buy ;)

Has anyone driven the 300C? I drove it a small distance at work and thought it was a very nice car.

18. HAL9000

HAL9000

Because there are those out there that are brainwashed that there is Ford and nothing else. I know plenty of these people and even though the fire that took my Mustang is a well known issue, these type of people will place the blame elsewhere... I MUST have done something to cause it.

19. David M

David M Techphile.

The most annoying ad has to be the redhead with the stringy hair and the facial distortions advertising some sort of internet company. Direct Wave?...or something like that. She reminds me of my ex-wife and the facial distortions she had when angry. :)

BTW...don't ever get an ex-wife. LOL

20. HAL9000

HAL9000

Too late... already got one.