Admin Password

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Wildnites, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Wildnites

Wildnites

I'm trying to run a checkdisk diag from WinXp Pro CD. I am being asked for the Admin Password which the owner of the PC doesn't know (or remember). How do I get past this problem? Her PC just continuously reboots after getting a trojan flood virus, never actually getting to the Windows desktop. I see the HD light glow red when the PC starts to boot which indicates trouble. I want to run the checkdisk diag from the recovery prog on the CD but we don't know the admin password. Can anybody help?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. Ob1

Ob1 EGO MY LEGO

if the owner doesnt remember entering in an administrators password, then just leave it blank indicating no password has been set.

4. Wildnites

Wildnites

Yes, I can get to safe mode. Yes I tried just hitting 'enter' but the same message comes right back requesting the admin password. I'm just goin' around in circles. I will try to create a BartPE CD. Not sure what it actually is. Looks like a kind of deluxe imitation of the XP pre-install environment. I've never done this before (BartPE) any tips? Thanks, again.

5. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

All the searches I've done indicate this password issue is difficult to bypass unless you can first boot to windows. Can you get it to boot to Safe Mode? If so, try using one of the methods described by TheElderGeek. Do a google search for "admin password recovery console". Another option would be to remove that hard drive, slave it to another machine and do the scans from there.

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you can get to safe mode you can run chkdsk.