Add A Start Menu To Your Windows 8 Consumer Preview Installation

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks' started by MyCattMaxx, Mar 24, 2012.

1. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

2. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

I use several OS's, including W7.
    I didn't expect to get jumped over posting a tip for those that want to play with W8cp.

3. jdeb

jdeb

Good point, I am moving to Windows Tips and Tricks

4. David M

David M Techphile.

Imagine that, an option for getting back what you preferred not to lose in the first place. How nice of Microsoft you might think.

Imagine now if Windows 8 came with a desktop that scrolled vertically much like old televisions used to, so that you could not read its contents. What if Microsoft offered a fix for that. I bet you would feel even better about Microsoft.

If you were a dog, isn't this kinda like how much better you feel when your master stops beating you?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

This is just a preview release.
    I suspect if they really want to sell to more than touch screen users they will have a "desktop" config.

It seems to be quicker than W7, but it's probably not as bloated as the official release will be.
    I haven't really dived into it yet, but I am slowly getting there now that I have some vid drivers working.

6. MikeMoss

MikeMoss

Hi

I'm using it as my primary OS and haven't felt the need to boot back into Windows 7 for quite a while.

It's noticeably faster then Windows 7 on my computer, and I can boot in 40 seconds instead of several minutes.

I have everything running in it now that ATI came out with drivers for it.
    The drivers support OpenGL which the Microsoft ones didn't so now my 3D software all works.

My games run great, some of them better then in Windows 7.

You really don't have to jump through hoops to make it work conveniently.

I run it all from my desktop just the way I did in Windows 7.

Here's my Windows 8 desktop...

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff491/nohjekim/Desktop.jpg

This looks almost identical to my Windows 7 desktop.

Here's way to give yourself a easy start menu.
    I've done this for a long time, just as a convenience and if you don't like the Windows 8 start screen this makes it unnecessary with no third party software.

Save a link to every piece of software on your computer in a folder the desktop. Even the ones that appear elsewhere.

All you have to do is open the folder and there is an alphabetical list with icons and links to every program on your PC.

I usually just copy a link there when I first install the program and set up my desktop.

On my computer it's the blue icon with the arrows pointing in all directions and the bottom of the column on the left.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  7. MikeMoss

MikeMoss

Ps. Maybe it's time to start a Windows 8 forum here!
    A year from now there are going to be a lot of questions, the sooner we get into it the more we will know. LOL

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Good point - and I will expand the current Windows forum to include 8.

Admin note - please don't post inline images in the help forums. We do allow up to one 800x600 image, but yours was way bigger than that. We REALLY prefer links or attachments everywhere but in the general discussion forums. Thank you.

9. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

I have an item or two I could add.

10. MikeMoss

MikeMoss

Hi

Sorry about the big picture, on the forum I've been on a lot lately, everything appears as a thumb nail and then expands when you click on it.

I've been away for a while but now that Windows 8 getting going I'm getting involved again.

Mike

11. strollin

strollin

For the most part, Win 8 (and other Windows Versions) does that for you already. There is a hidden folder at C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (you'll need to enable the option to show hidden files & folders). When programs are installed, the installer creates a link in that folder. You could create a shortcut to it on your desktop or you could create a Toolbar that points to it.

After you create the link, you can then disable the option to show hidden files if you prefer to run that way.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  12. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

It will do that here if you upload it as an attachment. No need to use Photobucket. Just go advanced when you reply and you will see how to do it.

13. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

Edited by admin.

Please repost without using inline images, as has been discussed. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  14. pally01

pally01

Thanks MyCatMaxx. Win8 is much more bearable for me now.