A+ Exam Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by highrisemech, Jan 1, 2002.

1. highrisemech

highrisemech

Hi,
    I want to study for the A+ Exam.
    Which books or sites would provide me with
    related materials. I'll take any good tips as well.
    Please don't mention a school. I simply do not have the time.
    I want to study on my own and take the test.
    I would appreciate any help you can give me.

2. lil Jimmie

lil Jimmie HOT ROD

3. mc2phat

mc2phat Remember

4. Colb

Colb

mcsebraindumps.com

Read posts of other people that took the exam. Gives questions and answers they got. Here are each test code numbers:
    220-201 core
    220-202 operating system

5. padawan

padawan

As an MCSE that passed my certs without braindumps, I implore you NOT to use dumps. The dumps make it possible for any idiot to get a certification, and it brings down the value of the cert for the rest of us. Stop by Maximum3D (brother site of PC Mech) and read my Tales of Woe series, about an MCSE that I worked with, and see what a dump user is capable of.

http://www.maximum3d.com/reviews/networkwoeintro.htm

6. highrisemech

highrisemech

Neither site has really provided the information that I need.
    Although I do appreciate thier attempts.
    Looks like I'll have to go find some decent books.

7. Hpro

Hpro Power in the Box-P4 XEON!

Go over to BRAINBENCH - and do some tests - there are free ones and the one you pay for - then you will know about where you stand...

Brainbench

8. highrisemech

highrisemech

Thanks for the offers but I'm looking for sites and books to learn the
    subject matter associated with the test.

9. Iman74

Iman74

A+ Solution

Okay I have the answer to your question ( and most of the time I don't) but this time i do.

All seriousness
    I am not a school person nor did I have the time, the books were just too much info. So how did I pass you ask. Well i could say that I am a genious, or I'm just that good, but the truth is that plus what I am about to say.

It will cost you about 100bucks but dude believe me when I tell you that you can't get better studying material than this. This goes for all Technical Certification tests.

www.transcenders.com

Highly recommended. Basically here is the deal. Take their test, everyday, several times a day if you can and have the time. Once you get a 90 or above CONSISTENTLY then you will Ace the exam. Why you ask. There test is exactly what you will see when taking the real thing. If I am wrong then I will refund the money...NOT.

Good Luck.

10. highrisemech

highrisemech

I appreciate it really I do.
    But I want to learn the materials.
    Basically I know a lot of it since I've been building computers on my own
    for a few years. I'm just not up on a lot of technical terms and thier meaning.
    Also I have a good idea in my head about networking, but I need to learn more.
    I don't mind taking my time doing this. I have a good job, but I would like to get this under my belt as well. If anybody knows where I can get good reading material relating to this I would appreciate it.

11. christo418

christo418

Upgrading and Repairing PCs, by Scott Mueller - 12th or 13th edition, for the Hardware portion of the test. A+ Complete Exam Notes, by David Groth and others (Sybex).
    Although some of the links are broken at the moment (the gentleman that maintains this site is in the process of fixing that), this is an excellent resource for review - follow the A+ links. Good luck;)
    http://www.teachmepcs.com

12. Iman74

Iman74

Another A+ Solution

To each is own.
    Let me tell you this I was in the business for 3years before I took the exam and it was even tricky for me. But to each is own; that's what I say.

So if you want to pass it with ease then use www.transcenders.com
    If you want to learn the material including passing the test with ease then as you will see in the A+ Newsgroup that the book author Mike Myers is the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072126795/qid=1010072734/sr=2-2/102-2062702-9263329

Either way you will learn. But the best way to learn is doing it, not reading about it.

13. Colb

Colb

I will 2nd the Sybex books, they are easy to read for computer newbies and have good illustrations. I took a class at school and the book we used was "Enhanced A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC" by Jean Andrews. This is a good book, but my experience with Sybex books were better.

14. christo418

christo418

highrisemech-
    as a side note, make sure that you know basic NT4/W2000. Know installation/upgrade options. Reason why I mention this is that this is a reason why a friend of mine failed the Ops portion of the test recently (though he has since re-taken the test and is now A+ certified). As you know, the test is adaptive, so if you make a mistake, it will pound you with more questions on the same subject.:eek: