$500 Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by DarkEagle, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle

I want to build the best possible gaming PC for approximately $500 Canadian. Are there any improvements I can make to my current build list and still come in at around $500?

Graphics: Sapphire 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1 GB - $183.99
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - $114.69
    Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE - $69.99
    Power: Antec EarthWatts Green EA430D 430 W - $55.14
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic Series GAMA-001BK - $39.97
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1333 BL2KIT25664BA1339 - $33.33
    I already have a hard drive and optical drive.

Total - $497.11 (before tax)

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Yes, you can improve it by getting an ASUS motherboard: ASRock is garbage.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You also need more than 430 watts for that video card. AMD recommends 500 watts minimum. What vendor are you using to get those prices?

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle

Prices are from various different online Canadian stores including: directcanada.ca, greytech.com, newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca.

5. Nuclear Krusader

Tigerdirect, yeah, I was wondering where the junk was coming from.

Stick to ncix.com. If you find something cheaper in any other site, they do price match. They dispatch faster than newegg too. Go to newegg only if Ncix doesn't have the components. Newegg might be all the rage in the States, but in Canada they just can't compete with Ncix. Newegg also ships from the US, so items sometimes take over a week to arrive.

6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle

I wasn't aware that ncix price match. Thanks.

7. Gyanotech

Gyanotech

I'd like to pose a few questions here. This is newbish, so please bear with me.

When they 'ship', does it mean that all the components get delivered to my doorstep?

Also, would it be cheaper to buy parts after Christmas? Or would the pricing remain the same?! If there won't be a whole lot of difference in prices, I am considering starting on building a rig asap.

Another thing, when I go to buy the parts, there is warranty for almost everything. What would be the safest bet.. as in what parts should I really look to get a warranty on?!

8. Nuclear Krusader

Yes, that's what ‘to ship’ means. (Terrible term, the most adequate would be ‘to dispatch’ or ‘to send out’.)

If you're in Canada, there's Boxing Day (Dec. 26th). Online retailers such as Ncix have Boxing Day deals for a week.

Most parts from quality manufacturers have 1 year warranty. Check on the item's page descriptions, though, as some have only 90-day warranties. You should look to get a warranty on everything, but more so on the major system components: motherboard, CPU, video card, etc.

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Or longer. Asus motherboards have 3 or 5 years, some EVGA video cards are lifetime if you register them (no charge).

10. Gyanotech

Gyanotech

Nice. Thank you very much for your reply!

I'm going to wait until X'mas and start on my rig. Hopefully, I will be able to get some decent deals. :)