4.1 Speaker System vs. 5.1?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by rclaxx14, May 31, 2010.

1. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

Hey everybody,

This might possibly be a really dumb question but, what's the difference between a 4.1 and a 5.1 speaker system. I'm comparing two different speaker systems on Ebay and I want to know if it's really worth spending th extra money for a 5.1. I'm going to be using these speakers for playing Xbox 360 mainly and some computer usage.

Here's the two different items I'm looking at:

4.1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200476971055&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2106wt_1220

5.1: http://cgi.ebay.com/3000-Watt-Home-Theater-System-5-1-Surround-Sound-SD-USB-/400124404129?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5d2945e1a1

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The 4.1 is 4 corner speakers plus a sub, the 5.1 adds a center front speaker.

3. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

How drastic is the quality difference, in your opinion?

4. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

5.1 will sound better for actual surround material in a typical PC setup. A 4.1 system can be comparable but it takes a lot of work to make it so.

I would stay far away from that Ebay crap. It really is just that... crap. That is the same level of stuff that scammers sell out of white vans in parking lots.

Here are two better quality units for about the same price. Don't be fooled by the claimed "3000 watt" output of that Ebay system. That is completely bogus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116049

5. glc

Frisby? Good grief - the names some companies put on their junk. Let the people who buy Emachines at Walmart buy that crap.

6. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

So you guys are suggesting I just leave the Ebay stuff alone and find a better quality system somewhere else? If so, could you guys recommend me some good systems, either 4.1 or 5.1 (whichever you think would be better) for a reasonable price?

7. glc

That's exactly what Hi Ho just did for you.

8. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

They call it Frisby because people get so frustrated out of the stinky sound, they throw them like a frisbee. ;)

9. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

10. glc

Those are used - you can get the same thing brand new from Newegg for $83.99, free shipping.

Get your head OUT of Ebay!

11. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

Not everything on ebay is used. Some things come factory sealed. But if you say so I'll stay away from ebay. I'm going to check out best buy and see what they have too.

12. Dave in Houston

Dave in Houston

I bought my son a set of those Logitech X-540 speakers. He seems to like them pretty well. His bedroom is upstairs and they will rattle the downstairs. I've never listened to them seriously, though, like I would an expensive stereo system.

Lots of places on the web sell them, so you might be able to find them for a bit less than the Newegg price.

13. glc

Those particular ones you found are USED.

14. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

Yea so I've changed my approach completely after visiting Best Buy. Basically what I'm looking for now is any speaker system (I've been looking at 2.1's, 5.1's and anything in between) that will work with my laptop and Xbox 360 and also one that comes with a remote. I'm looking to spend anything $125 or less.

I am attracted to the Logitech 5.1 system on Newegg that was suggested early.

Honestly I'm not being lazy because I've looked for at least 2 hours and I can't find much to match what I'm looking for :/

15. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

Alright so I ended up buying the Logitech 540 5.1 system off of Newegg. Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out and I'll let you guys know how the system sounds when I get it. Definitely want to thank glc because I ended up doing some research and found out that one of the sellers on eBay that I was bidding on, was a known scammer (sold broken speakers to people on multiple accounts). Thanks everyone!