$250 AMD Build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by moejoe125, Jun 27, 2007.

1. moejoe125

Apr 21, 2006
    hey guys, i need some help with choosing some build components for a desktop.
    I'm looking to build a budget PC using an AMD chip, im on a strict budget of $200 to about $300.
    i dont really need anything flashy, just something that can handle home/office use and internet and maybe the odd game.

as im going to build an AMD based machine, i was wondering what the difference between all the AMD chips? Socket 939, Socket A, Socket AM2.
    I know that they accept different processors, but are the different processors very different to eachother in terms of performance? and is there a big difference in pricing between the 3 AMD motherboard types?

P.S. i dont need a huge HDD something on the lines of an 80GB will do the job, but i need about 1GB of RAM.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  2. LeftyAce

Feb 18, 2005
    Do you need Windows? If so, with that budget, get a Dell. Even if you don't need windows, it doesn't really make sense to build your own in that price range....you'll be forced to use too many low quality parts.

Socket A is really old, socket 939 is old (as in they aren't even making the chips for it anymore), and socket AM2 is the current socket (likely to change to AM3 sometime this summer).

If you're building now, the Intel C2D chips make more sense in terms of performance/$, but as I said, for $300, you'd be better off with a Dell.

EDIT: It seems someone did do a $300 build a few months ago. Take a look at this thread: http://forum.pcmech.com/archive/index.php/t-177825.html
  3. Mr.Ferrari

Mr.Ferrari V12

Dec 11, 2005
    Houston, T.E.X.A.S
    That build that Lefty posted looks good, but I would change a few things so that you can upgrade the components in the future, that being a Asus P5L-MX motherboard, costing ~$25 more, and getting Corsair Valuselect DDR2 667 1gb, 1gb of DDR2 is half the price of older DDR. So there wont be any extra expense.

If you want the best bang/buck and performance (future upgrades) stick to intel builds.

Socket A/462 is a few generations behind, and 939, albeit being a very stable platform, is no longer, AM2 is a *ok* platform, but performance and stability is lacking for the most part when compared to a Intel C2D build.

For $300 you'll just barely scrape by with a tower, but no way will you get peripherals and monitor included.

Even the cheapest dell for $350 does not include a monitor.
  4. jer888

Jun 13, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Get a Dell for 350, then just look around places that are getting rid of CRTs. Ive gotten them for 5 bucks a piece.