2 nic saga

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by moonlight burner, Apr 18, 2001.

1. moonlight burner

moonlight burner

quote from GLC,
    " Multiple nics in a server are like parallel processing - it increases the bandwidth.I have a customer with a 40 node network - and we have 3 nics in the server."

quote form Wedor " "The only time I've seen 2 modems used is with specific software that enables multi-linking, are you saying this is the same thing? if not you are going to have to be more specific in your answers for me to follow this."

Seems to me, the quest for an answer is still out there, and I like to ask a few quiz, ie If the goal is to increase the bandwidth, say 40 nodes network with 3 nics in the server, how specifically can it be done. First the hardware requirement, do we need a special nic which supports this kind of feature (bandwidth increase) and secondly ,the physical installation aspect, do we use a cat 5 cable to connect each nic in a daisy-chain manner ? and etc and lastly (I don't know whether it is the last), the software requirement and finally the configurations aspect ?
    Or is this topic to tedious to ...to explain over here ?

moonlight burner

2. wedor

wedor

As I understand it you would use a protocol like TCP/IP and assign different IP's to each NIC which would be wired directly into the hub or switch. There are multi-port NIC's available for systems with a lack of slots.

3. mosquito

mosquito SQL nutcase

Multiple nics only give a real performance boost when you are connecting them to a switch.