1 copy of XP 2 PCs??

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Jeradln82, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeradln82

Jeradln82

ok, I have a friend that has 2 PC and only 1 copy of windowsXP home. Now I always thought that you can only have 1 copy of XP for only 1 PC. I told him he would have to buy another copy of XP if he wants to run 2 PCs, both with XP.

So, He thinks I'm wrong and that he'll be able to use his one copy on both PCs. So whats the verdict?

Oh, and if XP is restricted to only 1 PC, how does Microsoft monitor that and how does XP know when its on a machine it isn't supposed to be?

Thanks for the help ya'll ;)
    Jerad

2. hobey19

hobey19 usual suspect

he can only install that on ONE computer. when you register and authenticate xp with MS, it will notice that you have registered that serial more than once

craig

3. kram

kram

Basically, everytime you pay the money for a software, you are paying for the liscence of installing it on a certain number of computers. For the amount of money you pay for XP (like 100 or something), you are allowed<b> one</b> installation, legally, on a computer. Any number beyond that on that CD will require another liscence be bought from Microsoft. Of course, it's possible, but it's definately illegitament and illegal.

Hope that helps,
    kram

4. Jeradln82

Jeradln82

Just out of curiosity, how would you authenticate the Serial number if say, you had no Modem? Also, do you have like a certain amount of days to register it, kinda like a deadline? If you don't register it, will windows block access?

Sry, for all the questions. I'm just trying to explain to him why he can't use just the one copy. Besides the moral reason ofcourse. ;)

5. hobey19

hobey19 usual suspect

i think that there is something which forces you to authenticate. i have always done it right away, and have never waited around to do it. i remember a friend not doing it, though, and it locked him up. not too sure on this one, though, so you may want to wait for more opinions

craig

6. mrdeeye

mrdeeye

i was under the impression that the license with any of those Home Editions was that you could install it on up to 3 computers??

7. hobey19

hobey19 usual suspect

i have never heard of that, and i am sure there are a lot of people here that would like to know about that, because that would save a lot of money. i am going to try to find the EULA, and post a link, but i am almost positive that it is just one computer

craig

edit: yep, see link to EULA

http://proprietary.clendons.co.nz/licenses/eula/windowsxphome-eula.htm

craig

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  8. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

you can install XP on more than one pc but you are only allowed one COA (certificate of authenticity)....as soon as you install XP on a pc you will be asked to Activate your product as soon as you put the same COA on another pc it will tell you that one has already been used...There are ways around this but, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL...if you are caught your pc can be confinscated! period.... as soon as you are on the internet Microsoft sees everything you do! If you want to save money just buy another COA license these are about half price as you get everything but the CD (you already got that)...and your legal.....

You have 30 days to activate XP after the first start up.....unless time never changes? After 30 days if you have not activated windows you will no longer be able to use it until you do....If you have no modem you can Activate by phone...This is a simple process

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  9. RayH

RayH

The only way a single license for Windows XP can be installed to more than once computer is something ain't legit. Period.

What worked bogus yesterday, might not work today. Do bogus on a machine used in business and I can guarantee the Software Police get ugly. Do bogus on a home machine and brag about it on the web, ugly things happen.

10. kram

kram

There are versions WinXP on sale at Newegg, where it grants three liscences. This is in essence, buying three copies of WinXP with a little discount. In any case, if you are allowed three installation, you should have three CD Keys or CD Registration codes.

kram

11. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Those three packs you are referring to (at least I think that's what you are referring to) are actually 3 separate disks, each with it's own license number. Also in the kit is a Windows XP Preinstallation disk for OEM's to customize the install with their own splash screen logo and other options. Averaged out, each copy is a little cheaper. So if you and some friends go in together you can all save a few bucks and end up with your own XP CD and license number.

Just another thought. There is a MS software package that can be installed on more than one PC - it's the Office XP. You can install and activate it on 1 desktop and 1 laptop from the same CD and license.

12. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

its cheaper to buy one copy of XP and then buy more COA's if they're for yourself....For customers the 3-pack is good...

13. Jeradln82

Jeradln82

Well, my friend here knows a person using the same copy of XP on mutliple computers. So, they want to do it. I was going to install it for them, but I now refuse to.

Oh well, hard head I guess.. LoL:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  14. kram

kram

Good choice, Jeradln. I'm quite curious about the thing PanamaRed said - where OfficeXP can be installed on one laptop and one desktop legitamently - is that true for Office 2003 (as I am considering buying it)? Sorry for deviating from the main question a bit, but I thought this goes under the question of liscencing - the original topic.

Thanks,
    kram

15. sdkfz

sdkfz

does not appear to be the case any more

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights, provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this HOME-USE EULA:
    1.1 Installation and use. You may install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device located within your home.
    1.2 License Grant for Remote Desktop. You may use remote access technologies, such as the Remote Desktop features in Microsoft Windows or NetMeeting, to access and use your licensed copy of the Software, provided that only the primary user of the device hosting the remote desktop session accesses and uses the Software with a remote access device. These remote desktop rights do not permit you to use the Software on both the device hosting the remote desktop session and the access device at the same time.

I had a look around for the laptop idea and did not see it, though I'll admit as the depth got deeper my scan got more cursory. Also - my copy of Office was a freebie I got from MS becasue I attended the one day launch event - it does state that it it is a home EULA though so I do not think it is different than one you buy at any retailer

16. rcx21000

rcx21000

If you look on the Microsoft website, it tells you that you can use one CD on more than one computer. You just install then activate, and when it finds out you've already installed it, it will just ask you to buy another key off the internet :) M$ emails it to you, and you activate it :)

17. sdkfz

sdkfz

from MS site. just took a while to find it

Q. How many times can I install Office 2003 Editions?
    A. You can install one copy of Office Professional Edition 2003, Office Small Business Edition 2003, and Office Standard Edition 2003 on your main computer and another on your laptop computer for your exclusive, but non-concurrent use. To install a version of these Office 2003 Editions on more than these two computers, you must obtain another license for the program. You can install Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on up to three computers in your household if a household member is qualified. You can work with Office 2003 Editions at your desk and when mobile. Note Licenses for the 2003 release of Office acquired preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed on another computer.

18. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you do not have a modem you must activate by vioce phone, it's an 800 number.

I agree, don't play games with XP, it can come back to haunt you.

19. KC1213

KC1213

:confused: What does Microsoft charge to Activate after you install from cd that is already ''used''?

20. sdkfz

sdkfz

about 5 minutes of your time......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.