1 Beep on boot up

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by greenhorn, May 28, 2000.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn

Should I be concerned? I read on one of the forums that beeps at startup indicate there are errors. My newly assembled system beeps 1 time on bootup, then lags a short while at the black screen showing bios info, then goes on to the WIN88 blue screen and finishes coming up. Should I look for the problem? All else appears to work properly when the system is up and running. Where would I find the problem and how would I correct it?

------------------
    Always trying to learn, Always in trouble,-- Greenhorn

2. Jenni

Jenni PC Tinkerer

1 beep at startup is normal. Hehe, first time to have the PC speaker hooked up?

3. greenhorn

greenhorn

Not quite. I work with 3 different computers at work 2 running UNIX, 1 running WIN95 and 2 at home both running WIN98 and they all have speakers hooked up and the volume adjusted, only the new computer I just put together beeps 1 time at start up.

------------------

4. WJWheels

WJWheels The Wheeler Dealer

With a *cold* monitor, I use the 1 beep to tell me when to hit "Delete" to get to bios.

------------------
    "Be what you is, cause if you be what you ain't, then you ain't what you is."

5. Alfie

Alfie

1 beep is the bios signalling all is well after testing components,multiple beeps or error messege indicates a problem.
    1 long beep followed by short beeps is usually video,many beeps,memory(usually).
    Thats it as far as beeps with Award bios.
    Other bios have different beep codes.

6. Floppyman

Floppyman Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

you're in good shape....I take it your mobo has an Award bios? Same thing happens to me every time I start up my computer.....Alfie is right...I believe the one beeps comes after the POST is complete and means everything is fine...and as he said multiple beeps, long short etc., usually indicate trouble. HTH

7. greenhorn

greenhorn

Thanks to All
    Yes, It's a Tyan 1584S mobo with Award Bios
    That's one more thing off of my list of worries. [​IMG]

Greenhorn

------------------