PCMech Report

Go Back   PCMech Forums > Help & Discussion > Computer Hardware

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
kaz
Member (2 bit)

ASUS Pundit-R (P4R8L) - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0

I just bought ASUS Pundit-R barebone system. The motherboard is ASUS P4R8L. I installed Windows MCE 2005 on it and the other components are Intel P4 3.0E, 1GB memory (Rosewill PC-3200 512MB x 2), Western Digital 200GB SATA HD (WD2000JD), and Pioneer DVR-107D DVD/CD drive (I have not installed a TV tuner card yet). The installation of MCE 2005 itself went fine without any problems. Then, I wanted to install drivers for other Putdit-R built-in components such as vidio and network from the ASUS support CD. But, I noticed that the CD drive does not work. I mean it does not read CDs. It worked fine when I installed MCE 2005. But, it does not work after Windows is installed. The drive has been recognazed properly both from BIOS and OS. In the Device Manager, I see "Pioneer DVR-107D" under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and its property page says "This device is working properly.". I uninstalled the device once and then it was automatically detected and the driver was reinstalled when I rebooted the PC. But, it does not read any CDs (I tried several CDs I have). I even reinstalled Windows MCE 2005, but the problem still persists. I looked at the system even log and I found out there are many cdrom errors there. It says:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0"

What does it mean? I connected the Pioneer DVD/CD drive (which has been used in another PC without any problems) to the Primary IDE connector (black one, near the front of Pundit-R). The DVD/CD drive is the only one connected to the primary IDE connector as the hard drive has been connected to the Serial ATA connector and nothing has been connected to the secondary IDE connector (blue one, near to the power unit). I tried to connect the DVD/CD drive to the Secondary IDE connector instead of the Primary IDE connector, but the BIOS does not recognize the DVD/CD drive in such case.

Please let me know what I should try at this time. Thank you very much!
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
glc
Forum Administrator
Staff
Premium Member

Cabling and jumpering. If you are using a color coded 80 wire cable, the blue connector goes to the controller, the black connector on the other end to the drive, and you jumper the drive either Master or Cable Select. If you are using a standard 40 wire cable, position is not important and you must use Master jumpering.
glc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
kaz
Member (2 bit)

Thank you very much for the reply. Tonight, I tried all the cables I have (both 40 pins and 80 pins. Some of them are brand new), but had no success. I also tried jumpers, but had no success.

Then, I attached an old CD-ROM drive that I don't use anymore instead of the Pioneer DVD/CD drive. There was no error with the old CD-ROM drive. I was able to install all the device drivers from the ASUS support CD. Then, I updated all the drivers and BIOS to the latest versions after downloading them from the corresponding web sites. Then, I switched the CD drive back to the Pioneer DVD/CD drive, but the error was still there.

It seems there is something wrong with the Pioneer DVD/CD drive. So, I install the drive to another PC I have (Dell). But, there is no problem. I can even burn DVD and CDs. I think I'm stuck. The same drive does not work for a PC (ASUS Pundit-R base system) and works for another PC (Dell). In addition to that, another CD-ROM drive has no problem to work with the ASUS Pundit-R base system.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
glc
Forum Administrator
Staff
Premium Member

Try a firmware upgrade.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...107D_FW121.exe
glc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
kaz
Member (2 bit)

Thank you very much again for your reply!

I updated the Pioneer DVD/CD drive's firmware to the latest version (1.21) tonight and tried again. But, it didn't work. I still have the same problem. I tried another drive (Samsong CD-RW drive). It worked, but the system event log shows some ATAPI errors. The message itself was very similar and it looked something like "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\....". I was able to use CDs though. Do you think there is something wrong with the IDE connector/controller?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
mayhan
Member (1 bit)

Same problem with Pioneer

I have the same problem with a DVR-108 and the Pundit. Did you ever figure this one out? I am just using Windows XP Home.
mayhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
mlynn
Member (1 bit)

I have just experienced this problem after 3 months of use without error.

I upgraded my Asus P4P800-SE motherboard BIOS 2 weeks ago from version 1004 to 1007 and only used my Pioneer 108 to read a DVD today. My PC dual boots with Windows XP Professional and Windows 98. On Windows XP it wouldn't read DVDs at all. I was really worried because I thought my Pioneer 108 was developing a fault. I rebooted and tried Win98 and it was OK. I reinstalled the Pioneer 108 device driver and Nero (for ASPI) on Windows XP and PowerDVD but it didn't work.

I have 1 SATA 120Gb drive, 1 PATA 80Gb drive and a Pioneer 108. I went in to the BIOS Screen and changed the IDE BIOS settings to the following:

Main
IDE Config

Onboard IDE Operate mode Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On SATA

I am sure before the BIOS upgrade it had Enhanced Mode Support On PATA+SATA.

On Windows 98 I have to drop down to the following settings.

Onboard IDE Operate mode Compatible
IDE Port Settings P-ATA Ports Only

When I enable the SATA drive on Windows 98 UDMA doesn't work on the PATA drive, and that makes Windows 98 exceptionally slow.

So, either I had set SATA+PATA by mistake for XP after using 98 once or this error has been caused by the MB BIOS upgrade to version 1007. Using Enhanced Mode Support On SATA fixed the problem for me. DVDs and CDs read perfectly, with no performance problems (according to disksped) and there are no errors in the System Event log any more.

Took me an hour to figure out what was going on though...

Last edited by mlynn; 01-16-2005 at 12:32 PM.
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote